Hosted by Darren Baker
DEF Model M54 corrected rear tire set
namengr
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 04:33 AM UTC
Morning all, was just wondering if the corrected rear tire sets for the M54 were ever released and how you can tell them from the original issue ones? Do they have a new #? Thanks, Wayne
duckdawgs
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 04:54 AM UTC
So after reading your post I pulled out my DEF set to look it over and do a test fit.. I read an article awhile back that suggested there was a problem with spacing?? But the test fit seems ok to me... can you tell me what the actual issue was... I've had my set since within weeks of its release... The part # on mine is 1/35 DW35110...
namengr
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 05:58 AM UTC
As I recall they supposedly stuck out too far from the edge of the bed. The discussion was about a year ago, right after they came out. It was in the Vietnam posts in Nov.-Dec 2018 time frame under 5 ton M54. Wayne
duckdawgs
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 06:40 AM UTC
Just did a side by side comparison with the AFV wheels/DEF wheels.. The DEF wheels are wider but by a very small amount (1.5mm??), but the diameter seems the same... I like the detail on the DEF wheels better..
It has the sag, air valve stem, and better tire markings... The DEF wheels have a rounder profile than the AFV ones, which are more square... BTW, you are talking about DEF right?? Not another company that makes M54 wheels??
Reforger-Victim
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 06:46 AM UTC
The Def wheels don`t fit on the kit s brake drums ..that `s the main problem.

There are other m54 wheels in resin, but they are crap too. DEF will correct wheels asap, I m in contact with them every month because I need the wheels urgent..

Link to older thread:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/272970#2301597
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 07:22 AM UTC
I thought Def already corrected them. The sets marked "Release August 2018" should be corrected.

Reforger-Victim
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 07:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought Def already corrected them. The sets marked "Release August 2018" should be corrected.

Nope, release August 2018 is first and incorrect item. New item will be named 'regular rear wheel'
duckdawgs
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 08:23 AM UTC
After re-reading the original post I decided to put together a wheel set... Everything fits perfectly, drums, hub, and wheel... I don't know if its because they're the corrected version or not, but the box picture is different than the picture above... There is no indication on the box whether its corrected or not...
namengr
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 10:18 AM UTC
Any way you could post your package picture? Also kit number?
Wayne
duckdawgs
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 10:25 AM UTC
Sorry Wayne, I don't know the procedure for downloading images from my phone to Kitmaker Network... But I know and I can, upload a few images thru Armorama Facebook page, if you do Facebook... Give me bout an hour to take pics and upload...
duckdawgs
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 11:08 AM UTC
Ok Wayne, I posted a few images on the Armorama FB page, the images are posted in the community section...
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 03:04 PM UTC
Just a note regarding the M54 wheels and tires:
Forget about sag on the rear dualies! A truck with 300 hundred 155 rounds will have very little tire sag unless the inside dualie is flat. Now that was actually common on gravel roads! I know, as I changed my share and then some!
I was around five ton trucks seven days a week. The M54 was a great truck
Gary
Reforger-Victim
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 06:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Forget about sag on the rear dualies! A truck with 300 hundred 155 rounds will have very little tire sag unless the inside dualie is flat. Now that was actually common on gravel roads! I know, as I changed my share and then some!
Gary

That s the point...there will be out one set named regular and one set named guntrucks soon with different sagged wheels.. ..
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 - 08:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gary

That s the point...there will be out one set named regular and one set named guntrucks soon with different sagged wheels.. ..

I've seen five tons with so much weight in the back, that the suspension was maxed out, and yet little if any tire bulge to the side. We used to load the back of them with three hundred 155 rounds, and shoot out of the back of the truck all ight long. Each round weighed 98lb, and that was way over max load for the truck. We were kids, and never gave the max load a thought! They'd send guys down to the river to fill sand bags ( whoever was in Top's dog house). They'd be piled as high as the windshield, but no sag! Maybe a flat tire to be fixed the next day, but they made it back.
The military designs on a four to one safety factor, so you can figure a five ton is really good for 40,000 pounds in perfect conditions. And believe me they road like that as well!
Gary
Reforger-Victim
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 - 06:15 AM UTC
finally the correctes rear wheels are out by Def…

The are named "standard loaded".They also fit on afv clubs's truck brake drums well..
 _GOTOTOP