_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV Club M113A1 conversion to 80s M113
RicardoH
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 10:41 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I was wondering if the AFV Club M113A1 has the parts needed to build an M113A1 in the early 80s.

I'm pretty sure I'll just need to omit the shields and a few other parts, but I'm not an expert and I'd like to know before buying the kit.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2019 - 01:12 AM UTC
Yes, by removing the added armor and extra weapons, you will have a standard M113A1.

However, by the early '80s, most M113A1s had been upgraded to M113A2s. These upgrades include a shock absorber on the 2nd roadwheel on each side, the rear idler wheel raised about 3 inches, a redesigned engine deck with different vents, an exhaust with a flapper and square guard around it, armored radiator cap cover, a second exhaust stack for the crew heater, and smoke launchers added on the front glacis. The rest of the upgrades were to the engine, transmission, and inside.

You can see most of the updates on the engine compartment deck here.

Smoke launchers

Academy does a pretty good A2 version if you want to go that route.

RicardoH
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2019 - 03:04 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply.

I'm planning on building a Portuguese Army M113 and in the early to mid 80s they used a regular M113A1. I believe the first A2 models arrived in the 90s, but don't quote me on that.
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2019 - 03:07 AM UTC
Gino, are those shots from the FLW outdoor display?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2019 - 03:21 AM UTC
Maybe? I grabbed them from Prime Portal.
RicardoH
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 09:36 PM UTC
After getting the AFV club kit and examining the kit's parts, the kit seems to represent an early M113A1, one that was converted from a gas-powered M113.

It contains the oval inspect access panel to the fuel tank on the rear, but I think it can be sanded off. I'm not sure if the fuel cap is the same on the M113 and the A1 but I think so.

On the interior, the firewall access door (?) is composed of one door, not two, like on the "regular" A1s. I'll try to swap this with the part from an old Italeri kit or just live with it.

Also, and because it's an ACAV, it's missing two braces (?) at the rear and I'll have either to source these from another kit or scratchbuild them. I'm not sure how to call these things, but it's where you'd tie things like backpacks, sleeping bags, etc. to be carried on the outside of the vehicle.

So far, that's it. There's probably more stuff that I have missed.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 11:40 PM UTC
Does the AFV kit offer enough of an improvement to make it worth the investment over Tamiya and Academy?
RicardoH
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 11:46 PM UTC
Over the Tamiya, definitely. Over the Academy one it depends on how picky you are. The details on the AFV Club kit are more refined, but the kit is also pricier. I'm not sure you'll need a new kit if you have the Academy on your stash already, but check the reviews and photos of sprues online.
Hunter6
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 - 07:19 AM UTC
Hey Jim, It is indeed. Visible in the background is the WW2 company area that was restored as well. A tornado hit the area a few years ago & damaged or destroyed exhibits but the majority of damage has been repaired. It really is a fine museum well worth visiting.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2019 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, and because it's an ACAV, it's missing two braces (?) at the rear and I'll have either to source these from another kit or scratchbuild them. I'm not sure how to call these things, but it's where you'd tie things like backpacks, sleeping bags, etc. to be carried on the outside of the vehicle.

Ricardo,
Those items that you are describing are guards to protect the antennas and matching units from being damaged

John
 _GOTOTOP