_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NATO Three-Tone Camo on Leopard 1A4s?
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 04:45 PM UTC
Quick question:

Was the Leopard 1A4 ever painted in the NATO Three-Tone Camo while in German service? Failing that, did the 1A4 ever serve in other countries sporting the camo?

I'm building a Tamiya Leopard 1A4 OOB as a nostalgia build (I know it has mistakes), but I was really hoping to practice hand painting the NATO scheme. Thanks!
Reforger-Victim
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 06:14 PM UTC
No
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 07:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No

That's unfortunate. I do see that Meng is suggesting that an A3 has a tri-color camo. So it's possible for 1A3s to have the camo, but not 1A4s?

Meng's suggestion for a 1A3
iguanac
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 131 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 07:41 PM UTC
For camouflage pattern (although not 3 tone NATO), look at Greek, Canadian, Australian, Danish or Norwegian tanks. SOme modifications should be made, yet i assume that old Tamiya can be built into 1a3 and 1a4. With alterations, you could build Danish 1a5dk. Here is my recent project: Tamiya + Legend conversion
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/279468#2351816
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 08:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For camouflage pattern (although not 3 tone NATO), look at Greek, Canadian, Australian, Danish or Norwegian tanks. SOme modifications should be made, yet i assume that old Tamiya can be built into 1a3 and 1a4. With alterations, you could build Danish 1a5dk. Here is my recent project: Tamiya + Legend conversion
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/279468#2351816

I saw this build mate in the forums - excellent work mate! I'm trying to keep this build simply OOB though. I'm just looking to practice paint and weathering before I get a much better kit like the Meng Leopards. I also tried looking at Australian Leos, but it seems like they got a modified bustle rack added to the rear turret.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 08:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Was the Leopard 1A4 ever painted in the NATO Three-Tone Camo while in German service?

from this forum thread :

https://modellboard.net/index.php?topic=34551.45

H.P.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 10:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Was the Leopard 1A4 ever painted in the NATO Three-Tone Camo while in German service?

from this forum thread :

H.P.

There is a post right under the one with picture explaining why so few 1A4 had the camouflage.

My German is awful but Google translate is great. Seems the camouflage post dated the refurbishment of the 1A3/4 so they didn't get it. Then they were out of service by the time they were due to be totally repainted again. So only a handful of reserve vehicles ever got the camouflage. Or that's my reading.

Do a Greek one and practice your MERDC. Greek markings are easy to handpaint too being only the blue cross on white.
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

from this forum thread :

H.P.

There is a post right under the one with picture explaining why so few 1A4 had the camouflage.

My German is awful but Google translate is great. Seems the camouflage post dated the refurbishment of the 1A3/4 so they didn't get it. Then they were out of service by the time they were due to be totally repainted again. So only a handful of reserve vehicles ever got the camouflage. Or that's my reading.

Do a Greek one and practice your MERDC. Greek markings are easy to handpaint too being only the blue cross on white.

Thanks a lot mate! The photo is really helpful. Yeah, I'm on the fence with doing a Greek one. The markings are also pretty easy to replicate as you said
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 - 12:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

According to the same post, there's another A4 in NATO camo in Tankograd #5014 "Leopard 1 battle tank in the Bundeswehr - the late years" : on page 44, the Y-657 746 can be seen at the Army Maintenance Plant 850 in Darmstadt.

H.P.
 _GOTOTOP