_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Dragon: Steel Wheel Panther and Pantherturm
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2019 - 07:49 PM UTC

With this new 1/35 scale combo kit from Dragon, modelers can create a complete Panther Ausf.G Late-Production tank, and also a Pantherturm boasting an Ausf.G turret and associated base.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Invincible
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 - 07:45 AM UTC
Looks interesting- and considering if Dragon's usual £50-70 pricetag applies- possibly good value!
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 - 12:43 PM UTC
annnndddd a re-re-rehash of the ancient 3-set IR Shanghai Dragon panther... never fielded and only ever photographed in photoshop 'creations'

So what makes this any better than that mess?

Those wheel hubs? What's up with that?
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 - 02:12 AM UTC
Actually the Infrared sets were issued on a limited trials basis with, I believe the Viking Division using them briefly on the Eastern Front with some success and I recall that an American armoured unit was shot-up by another evaluation team on the Western front though I'll have to dig in to the material for more details. Interesting technology and, at worst, a "Panzer July 45" topic. That clumsy Photo Shop picture didn't help the credibility of the issue, though.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 - 02:16 AM UTC
Sorry...as to the kit, the outer wheels are quite odd, and I find pantherturm built on "G" turrets wasteful though probably not beyond the realm of possible. I understood that most were older turrets retasked and a certain number of new ones, often without the commander's copula installed so as to further reduce the profile height.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 - 01:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually the Infrared sets were issued on a limited trials basis with, I believe the Viking Division using them briefly on the Eastern Front with some success and I recall that an American armoured unit was shot-up by another evaluation team on the Western front though I'll have to dig in to the material for more details. Interesting technology and, at worst, a "Panzer July 45" topic. That clumsy Photo Shop picture didn't help the credibility of the issue, though.

Yes, the commanders IR set was tested and fielded.
But, the three set 'Solution B' set up is completely fictional however.
jlreyes181
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 11:59 AM UTC
The kit is based on the latest Panther G with steel wheels, not in the Imperial Dragon kit. The IR solution to be used is the one for the cupola only (as the rest was fictional). It depend on the price, but it may be a good combo to have.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 12:21 PM UTC
The combination in the kit is fictional. The IR units were only used by I./ Pz Reg 29 near Berlin, and with just one viewer for the commander.

_GOTOTOP