_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
My Trumpeter M1078 Build
xraytech
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 04:33 PM UTC
Here are some photos of my recently completed M1078. The kit is basically OOTB except for the cab.

In the cab, I corrected the dash adding the AC panels and protective bars, added a radio speaker with mic, and corrected the instrument panel.

I also added storage boxes behind each seat with ammo boxes behind the driver and a radio set behind the passenger. Additionally, a middle seat was added (folded up) with M4 carbine racks and weapons. Unfortunately, not much of this is visible unless looking through the front glass which I could not get any pictures to turn out.

A resin cargo net load of ammo boxes was added in the cargo bed. I got this a long time ago and have no idea what manufacturer.

I tried some new techniques with this build, namely the dusty appearance. This was accomplished with an overall airbrush dusting of sand paint. This was gently rubbed off with alcohol on a swab leaving it in the corners and crevices. Then a dusting of pastel chalks gave more of the dusty look. An almost white wash was sparingly applied to the undercarriage. The sand paint was thinned even more and white added to the mix. This mixture was applied to all the upper surfaces on the cargo bed.

The cab was washed with a leather color then mostly removed leaving detail accentuated. Then the flat areas were dusted with AK Interactive North African Dust for highlights. Tamiya pastel kits were used to add wear and tear to edges and wear points.

Feel free to comment as they are always welcome.

BOB506
Visit this Community
Denmark
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 10:52 PM UTC
Waue, It looks GREAT, simply GREAT
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 01:48 AM UTC
Great work! Looks amazing!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 01:54 AM UTC
Very nice. It came out looking great. I have the same kit and plan on adding details inside the cab as well. I did a build review of it a few years ago and added some interior details, but haven't gotten any further on it since I can't find any other interior references. Do you have any in-progress pics or references for the interior?
xraytech
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice. It came out looking great. I have the same kit and plan on adding details inside the cab as well. I did a build review of it a few years ago and added some interior details, but haven't gotten any further on it since I can't find any other interior references. Do you have any in-progress pics or references for the interior?

Thanks for all your replies and comments.

I neglected to take in-process pictures, but I used your review as a basis for several of the mods. Mainly, I used several several pics of an LTAS cab from one of the topics on this forum and took some liberties with those in mind. I made the assumption that the arrangement in an LTAS and LSAC interior layout would not be all that different.
xraytech
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 05:36 AM UTC
I am really happy with the way the dusty look turned out and it may even give me the courage to tackle an all-over camo vehicle in the near future.
 _GOTOTOP