_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Meng BUK paint scheme
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 401 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 11:02 AM UTC
Hello all,

Does anyone know of any more interesting camo schemes that would be applicable for the BUK kit (Meng)? I’m finding the ones in the manual slightly bland.

Also, anyone know of any decal set for this kit? The quality of Meng decals seems to be decreasing over time, even though their kits remain great on average.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 11:15 AM UTC
It's not inconceivable that one or two might have ended up with the same splinter scheme seen on the 2S19, although I've not seen photos of one. If you choose to go with that assumption, DN Models makes a nice mask set set for that scheme that you could modify for the BUK.
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 12:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's not inconceivable that one or two might have ended up with the same splinter scheme seen on the 2S19, although I've not seen photos of one. If you choose to go with that assumption, DN Models makes a nice mask set set for that scheme that you could modify for the BUK.

I had to google what the 2S19 splinter scheme was and nearly spilled my coffee. What a nightmare that scheme is. Once upon a time I recreated that scheme on the Meng terminator and it took forever. That scheme demands its pound of flesh, without a mask at least.

Otherwise, that would probably look stunning on the BUK. Thanks for the suggestion!
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 01:23 PM UTC
Did you try doing a Google on the "Buk"? I'm not sure of your desires or criteria of "blandness", but there are photos of Buks in several different schemes - some of which look pretty interesting to me - and a considerable variation appears in paint schemes of missiles and that radome, as well...

I do have to admit that 1) the kit and the subject both look pretty cool (I haven't actually much looked at this one before now... there being quite so many new Russians competing for my attention and model dollar!) and 2), doing one up in a splinter camo sounds like it could be a pretty awesome build. Of course, one needs to head into that sort of thing with calmness and mellowness well-established!

Bob
2CAVTrooper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 02:22 PM UTC
What about doing one in Finnish service?

Yeah they have a splinter pattern, but it isn't as crazy as the Russian schemes.

https://binged.it/2QkC8ZS
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 02:31 PM UTC
Meng has decals and a color chart for the Finnish version, but it's not as angular as say, the Finnish Gvodzika. The scheme has more rounded look.
AKirchhoff
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 - 05:18 AM UTC
Hi!
For any reason, the finnish BUK M1 (9A310M1) as I photographed it about 10 years ago (two different vehicles, Ps443-28 and Ps443-29) at Parola did not have a splinter camouflage but showed the Finnish 4 colour scheme with rounded shapes. However there are also pictures within the net which show it in splinter camouflage, or a scheme that looks like a combination of both. So, you can do it as you like.

Andreas
PatriotaModels
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 126 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 - 07:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello all,

Does anyone know of any more interesting camo schemes that would be applicable for the BUK kit (Meng)? I’m finding the ones in the manual slightly bland.

Also, anyone know of any decal set for this kit? The quality of Meng decals seems to be decreasing over time, even though their kits remain great on average.

Well, I´ve painted my BUK using the actual Serbian Army paint scheme. At this moment it is a "what if" vehicle but I´m sure within 5 years it will become reality.

GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 - 07:56 AM UTC
Very nicely done!

KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 - 08:08 AM UTC
Thank you all for the suggestions! The Finnish scheme looks interesting. Anyone have any photos of the splinter on the BUK?

Great work Nenad! I didn’t realize that those were the current Serbian army colours. Back in my day it used to be just SMB.

Bojan
 _GOTOTOP