_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Syrian T62 colors?
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 02:37 AM UTC
I am making a Syrian T 62 from the 73 war. What would be the best choice in paint color for the green and yellow pattern? I use acrylics.
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 06:59 AM UTC
I used medium green and sand on mine.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 07:07 AM UTC
MIG has this set: https://www.migjimenez.com/en/acrylic-sets/193-set-yom-kippur-war-colors-.html

This walkaround might help you: http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/carl_dennis/t-62_model_1972/
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 08:58 AM UTC
Bear in mind that at least some also had patches of a medium grey.

The green was the original Soviet colour.

Most of the kit used in 1973 was recently received so personally I’d be wary of assuming that using any old colour based on a picture taken of disused vehicles abandoned for an unknown length of time after the collapse of the USSR provides much useful insight. There are plenty of contemporary photographs on the Golan and they show fairly intact colour schemes in my opinion.

For example, the T-62s were 1972 models, so they would hardly have spent ten years outside in a depot being weathered.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 10:51 AM UTC
Hi;

While walking thru the Valley of Tears, I Took pictures of all manner of Syrian Armor from BTRs, BMPs, Sus, T-54/55s,and T-62s; And there were all kinds of different camo; scemes ! It seemed to Me at that time that each of the Syrian Armored units sported all kinds of Greens, Tans, Greys, and Browns and No two vehicles were the same !
One of the Better reference on the vehicles was the Old magazine called AFV-G2 which sported color profiles and color chips of T-55s used in the 73 War !

CHEERS; MIKE.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 07:26 PM UTC
Rust and soot .
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 04:18 AM UTC
From my thought, I think they were probably delivered in Russian Green. The camouflage pattern appears to be nonstandard as it was applied. The vehicles were not that old so the paint had some wear but not badly. The yellow was probably sand with a touch of yellow added.
Do you think navel gray is about the correct color gray?
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 05:29 AM UTC
I did mine with the grey camo but added just a touch of blue as that is how it appeared to me in the photos and the painting instruction that came with the kit. Takom if I remember. It was actually a T54B but the colors were the same. Good luck.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2019 - 02:09 PM UTC
Hi;

As I think back; Its as if it was just like yesterday !
As for Colors; its not exact ! Vehicles sun Bleached very quickly, and gathered Dirt & Dust in just A Single Day. At the Start of the Build up of Syrian armored units before the Opening barrages of Arty; some of the Leading front line of MBTs had been in there start lines for Day's !!
Dark colors faded very fast; esp; Russian green. It became a faded lite green and was effected by the color of the soil.
As for the Grey, it ranged from dark to lite grey, depended when the vehicles were given there camo scemes.
Vehicles used by Egypt & Syria were Not washed with Soap & Water, they were Dry Brushed with A Stiff push Broom when they were cleaned ! We had to wipe down parts, so we could see Unit Codes or any sort of vehicle Info;
Syrian Unit codes were most often A mix of Circles & Triangles in different colors !
CHEERS; MIKE.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 - 02:45 PM UTC
Thank Mike, That must have been an interesting walk.
 _GOTOTOP