_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
M3A1 Bradley Question.
skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 703 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2019 - 03:38 PM UTC
Ok, I want to build a M3A1 question is can I use the Meng kit interior on a Tamiya kit or would it be batter to put the Tamiya side skirts on the Meng kit.
And what else would need to be back dated if I use the Meng kit.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2019 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, I want to build a M3A1 question is can I use the Meng kit interior on a Tamiya kit or would it be batter to put the Tamiya side skirts on the Meng kit.
And what else would need to be back dated if I use the Meng kit.

There is no way to backdate the M3A3 to a M3A1
Bradley A2 and A1 are externally different in many ways
head lights.side skirts to build a M3A1 you will need the original Tamiya M3 Cavalry fighting vehicle then add the following from the Meng M3A3 kit turret bustle rack and the upper rear hull hatch

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 - 02:16 AM UTC
The Meng M3A3 interior will not work. The M3A3 ammo stowage and interior layout is totally different from what was used in the M3A1.

M3A1 interior.

TOW ammo rack

Externally, the M3A1 had no side firing ports nor right side vision blocks on the rear of the hull, the rear vision blocks moved onto the top hatch as opposed to the top rear hull, and the larger turret basket that is seen on A2 versions. Aslo added was a guard on top of the driver's periscopes and the BC's periscopes on the turret roof. Lastly, the smoke grenade storage boxes were different (removable) on the front turret slopes.

Here you can see the top TOW reload hatch better. This is on an M3A2. On an M3A1, the added armor plates on the front and top would not be present.

M3A1 line drawing.

I would start with a Tamiya M2/M3 kit. They are the same kit inside the box, just a couple different parts used for each version. If you want an interior, go with the M2 kit (M3 kit does not have the interior sprue) and modify the interior layout to match the pic above. If you want a turret interior, you can use the Meng M3A3 interior kit turret interior. It is pretty easy to backdate it as I did on my recent M2 Bradley REFORGER build. You will also get a bunch of TOW missiles to use as reloads.

Here is one I did a few years ago. I have since covered the areas where the firing ports were with gear so they are not seen at all.

M3A1, 24 ID, ODS

skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 703 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 - 01:56 AM UTC
Thanks Guys. Just too bad the Companies can't do some more kits from the REFORGER era. Hey RFM, Panda, Meng etc. How about a M2/3A1 kit with interior and a M1IP with interior.
 _GOTOTOP