_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Is the best 1/35 King Tiger the Meng kit?
oyoy23
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 - 02:03 AM UTC
I do not want to do the interior I just want a solid accurate King tire and was wondering what the best kid is out there. Dragon seems to be over engineered to me I haven’t seen the Takom kit but what is your opinion. To Mia is the best out there I just don’t know if they’re King Tiger is the most accurate anymore
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 - 04:27 AM UTC
It's all a matter of opinion,I built Dragon #6254 and I thought it was an excellent kit,lots of PE,indies,and all of those paratroopers,its in my gallery if you want to look.Also #6303 with the molded on zimm was very good.So who is right who is wrong,it's all about what you want out of a build.

Folks will give you advice about what they think is the best tiger,they all have pros and cons.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 - 07:10 AM UTC
It depends on what criteria you base "best" on.

No kit is 100% accurate.

Some are easier to build than others, but that can also be dependent on the individuals capability.

Some are more expensive or harder to find than others. So is it best price?

Some have everything you need in the box, although some will want to add because they like to, such as Friul metal tracks when they might not need to. So is it best for a one box, no extras required best kit?

Whilst others, like the Tamiya kits, approach to kit manufacturer is different to others. Prefering to go with well engineered, easy to put together but some simplified details to reduce complexity and build time. You could find bringing a Tamiya kit up to the level of others actually more expensive than buying the other kit in the first place.

To be honest if you are not going to enter your model in competitions, display it at a show or put it on the web for scrutiny who's going to know if it's accurate or not...family, friends?

Under those circumstances you only have yourself to satisfy and that means enjoying making it, which is the main reason for doing it surely. You build it for yourself.

The only time you should force yourself to do something you really don't like doing is when you are getting paid for it, as in a job.

ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 - 11:48 AM UTC
The first two posts give some awfully good advice on your question.
Most of the offerings out there are pretty good. You know your skill level, approach it from that view point. Tamiya & Dragon have the 1 piece tracks. I've built Takom's KT, #2096, the initial production version and it was nice but had indy links. Tamiya, the engine screens are not included as PE and I think that they add a lot to the kit. The vinyl screens Tamiya supplies are a bad idea (IMHO)
Bottom line is that you only have to please Sean.
Good Luck in your choice & building!
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 - 04:49 PM UTC
I've built the kit of Meng out of the box and I think that it was splendid, particularly taking into consideration that it was offered for a very low price (I mean, the base kit without interiors and with non workable tracks and suspensions).
It included photoetched details, both plastic and metal barrel and a good crew of two.
Some care is required in filing the part that closes the holes for suspensions: if badly filed, the holes and the internal pins are not perfectly concentric and suspensions are not properly aligned. Besides it is necessary to keep the tensioner adjustable till when you complete the track, but it is the same for all non-workable tracks, particularly for those tanks that have tracks with alternate links, with and withouth tooth.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 - 05:51 PM UTC
As long as it doesn't say black label.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 - 03:50 AM UTC
What everyone has said above!

But even those who see your fine build on a model show contest table are mostly very, very unlikely to actually KNOW how "accurate" your build is. And that really should only matter if the contest is actually about demonstated "historical accuracy" in all details, as versus about how well that model was done relative to modeling standards and perhaps in comparison to what other contestants have built!

FWIW: I like the mentioned pre-zimm'd Dragon kit. But I got it before other, newer KT kits came out, and I've not actually looked into any of those newer boxes, so... !

Bob
 _GOTOTOP