_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
British SCC 15 in enamel
M4A3E8Easy8
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 302 posts
Armorama: 300 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 - 03:06 PM UTC
Looking for british SCC15 either a close match (close enough any way) of a formula to get there using Model master. Seems the Brit colors get the short end of the stick in the US. Some one save my firefly from getting olive drab sprayed on it.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 - 04:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking for british SCC15 either a close match (close enough any way) of a formula to get there using Model master. Seems the Brit colors get the short end of the stick in the US. Some one save my firefly from getting olive drab sprayed on it.

SCC 15 was specifically tinted to match US olive drab. A close match would be . . . Olive Drab.

KL
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 - 09:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking for british SCC15 either a close match (close enough any way) of a formula to get there using Model master. Seems the Brit colors get the short end of the stick in the US. Some one save my Firefly from getting olive drab sprayed on it.

White Ensign used to offer it as an enamel, but Sprue Brothers isn't stocking that color anymore. The old Pactra Artillery Olive was reportedly quite close, if you have any old paints around.
I did a Google search for Mike Starmer colour mixes, as he is the leading guru for WW2 British camouflage these days, but his formulas all use Tamiya or Vallejo acrylics, or Revell and Humbrol enamels.

Model Master OD is based on the FS34087 chip in the FS595b color guide, which was altered in 1967 or so to reflect the new light Olive Drab then coming into use on Army helicopters. It is dramatically lighter then the WW2 No. 9 OD shade, which corresponds to the current FS34088 chip. However, Steven Zaloga says that Model Master isn't a bad "scale" No. 9 OD, though the color is a bit vivid.

Returning to your issue, British SCC 15 was reportedly a bit greener than US OD, so you could just add a touch of Green to your Model Master Olive Drab. Once you get a coat of dust onto it, the precise shade won't matter that much.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 - 08:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Returning to your issue, British SCC 15 was reportedly a bit greener than US OD, so you could just add a touch of Green to your Model Master Olive Drab. Once you get a coat of dust onto it, the precise shade won't matter that much.

The slightly greener shade of SCC15 was ONLY after fading, not when new. When new it was essentially identical to US OD. And very, very few tanks lasted long enough to fade in the 12 months of the war between the introduction of SCC15 and May 1945.

Us your favourite Model Master US OD and lighten it for scale and you're good. No need to green it or fade it.

And, as you say, once you weather it, it'll make even less difference.

Paul
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 - 06:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The slightly greener shade of SCC15 was ONLY after fading, not when new. When new it was essentially identical to US OD. And very, very few tanks lasted long enough to fade in the 12 months of the war between the introduction of SCC15 and May 1945.

Us your favourite Model Master US OD and lighten it for scale and you're good. No need to green it or fade it.

And, as you say, once you weather it, it'll make even less difference.

Paul

Hang on! Model Master Olive Drab is already much lighter than WW2 OD, as I mentioned above--it was matched to the Vietnam-era helicopter color. While Tamiya OD needs lightening with yellow ochre, Model Master should be okay out of the bottle. Purists might want to cut the color saturation a bit with gray, but a coat of dust would achieve the same thing.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 - 06:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hang on! Model Master Olive Drab is already much lighter than WW2 OD, as I mentioned above

Indeed, to clarify, I was not trying to suggest that the MM OD was correct, but that Easy8 use whatever colour he thought best represented US OD. He said he wanted to use MM paints so was suggesting he used whatever he thought was the best MM match to US OD as an equivalent best match (for him) for SCC15.

I would agree that the MM OD is more the later Vietnam era OD and not WW2 OD.

Paul
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 - 07:53 AM UTC
Easy8,

Like you, I tend to use enamels rather than acrylics.

You may like to consider mixing Humbrol paints, as suggested by a leading authority on the subject, Mike Starmer.

150 + 159 + 33 (ratio 5:5:2) or 159 + 33 (ratio 8:1)

For dyed canvas tilts, 150

Paul
 _GOTOTOP