_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Sandbagged Easy Eight 1/16
edouble
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 126 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2019 - 08:19 AM UTC
One of the longest suffering shelf queens in my RC Motorpool is the sandbagged Sherman I began as my first RC project in 2005. Several snafus and a combination of material and skill issues made me choose to build a steel plate unarmored kit instead. Two years ago I collected parts to try again and managed to get as far as the brackets on the hull. I had to shelve the project and move along but about three weeks ago I acquired an old parts project from a club member to allow me to really advance the project full speed.

Tamiya HVSS hull. Upper Hull modified to M4A3 with some spare HL Sherman parts. Turret is a Nick Aquilar T-23 set.
Brass strip and styrene used to fab the racks.

edouble
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2019 - 08:34 AM UTC
The two year gap was basically my hesitation to dive in the the sandbags. Most methods I knew were for 1/35 scale or so with epoxy putty. I experimented with clay and even small sewn fabric bags but in the end I stocked up on Milliput and started working. Hand rolling and using a old t-shirt for texture. Some lines were etched with various tools to mimic seems etc. Added some aluminum foil to simulate bag openings. 6 boxes used altogether.

edouble
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2019 - 09:09 AM UTC
As this is a full option RC tank some of the details may be a bit rough to the discriminating Shermanoholic but the nature of IR combat has made it necessary for me cut a few corners but I am happy with the overall effort so far.
Now it is time to start painting.
Rustoleum Camo Olive base coat. This is a good overall primer for a resin-brass-epoxy-plastic-metal project. Once that was dry I began painting the sandbags with my Iwata Neo starting with Tamiya Earth Brown. I then air brushed some Tamiya Buff and Deck Tan over some bags. Later, I added Desert Yellow, Dark Yellow and Dark Yellow 2 over individual bags to alter the look.
The racks were painted Flat Brown by hand. In some areas I used grey and metallic grey as this was most likely scrap or bar stock and must have been oxidized. Then I confess I fell into some peer pressure and painted them Khaki drab as most models I have see also have the racks green. Finished the step by Dry Brushing Mission models Portland Stone over most areas to conform the look. The lower hull and trans cover were painted previously an will receive natural weathering on our field. I will weather the metal T-66 track but as it is functional it will naturally change later.

AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2019 - 12:26 PM UTC
That looks great. Did you have this at Modelzona? I don't recall seeing this.

G
edouble
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2019 - 01:15 PM UTC
Nope, I actually did most of the work AFTER Modelzona. The big debate is to add the black stripes like the 14th Armored did.

Unscientific Poll

(A) Stripes

(B) No Stripes..

Let me know!
edouble
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2019 - 02:45 PM UTC
Well other forums I frequent all suggest stripes. Here we go. Tamiya NATO Black in the Iwata.... Over all the external gear just like the photos!

_GOTOTOP