_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
3D Model Question
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2019 - 06:25 AM UTC
Apparently I'm not quite familiar with the progress in the industry, but can someone explain what exactly is for sale when viewing a 3D model selling for $149.00, such as what's referenced below? Just buying a digital copy, or a built-up item such as from Shapeways?

https://3docean.net/item/oshkosh-hemtt-m984a4-wrecker-truck-2011/19949888?s_rank=159
JamesL27
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 199 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2019 - 06:39 AM UTC
The digital 3d model file itself. Mostly for use in video games, or CGI type stuff. Unlikely to be any use for 3d printing either as it probably hasn't been designed with printing in mind.
ianalderman
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2019 - 05:00 PM UTC
One of the stated formats IS suitable for 3D printing.
obj (Multi Format)

The issue you would have would be when you came to scale this down to the size required. I'm assuming the original is at 1:1 so there would need to be a lot of work put in to revising the model for 3D printing as some of the parts would be too thin for the process.

Ian
Reforger-Victim
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2019 - 07:24 PM UTC
The wrecker is available from Hobby Fan in 1/35. It is surely the better choice. Converting the file for 3d-print needs much workflows in CAD and is nothing for any beginner in it...
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2019 - 07:46 PM UTC
Two totally different forms of "modeling". The link is a file for 3D software to virtually render the object. Can be used in art, games, animation such as movies and other CGI. It comes in various formats for various 3d software suites like 3D Studio Max, Lightwave 3D, Maya and others. Translating the .obj format to a 3d printer usable file is not for the faint hearted or even the hard hearted. It's a complicated process requiring the user to check every aspect of the object to make sure it's not too thin to print or even be rendered by the printing software. Other problems can be curves, fillets and other issues. I've watched my friend try to import .obj files to his printer software only to quit in frustration.

You can find 3D models or "meshes" all over the web. Many free. I have thousands that I've gathered over the years. High poly, high res and extremely detailed. When rendered they look lifelike.
 _GOTOTOP