_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Canadian Armor
Discuss all types of Canadian Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman Mk III Sydney Radley-Walters Query
Brad-M
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 402 posts
Armorama: 393 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2019 - 06:20 PM UTC
Guys,

Does anyone here know what type of Mk III Sherman he had when he landed at Juno during D-Day? I am specifically looking for info regarding his Caribou I. I have the 3-view profile, but I am unsure of whether it was a direct vision, or cast driver's hood tank. Also, what tracks it might have had. I have looked at many Sherbrooke Fusiliers tanks at Normandy, and there are all kinds of different possibilities. Once I get an idea, then I would like to know which kit would best get me there. Any help would be appreciated. TIA
Brad

TIA

Brad
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2019 - 05:12 AM UTC
Unless you actually can find a reasonably detailed photo of his actual tank, I don't see that you're ever going to be able to ascertain the specifics of his tank. Remember that he had several tanks shot out under him, so you are also looking at several possibilities of configurations depending upon exactly when you're talking about.

I found a photo of him in front of a Sherman, presumably his, but all you can see is part of the turret. Enough to indicate that either it was a late enough vehicle or that the turret had been through the remanufacturing process to upgrade the mount to the M34A1 mount with broad mantlet. That's it. The rest of the turret and hull were covered in T54E1 track.

At that point it's perfectly reasonable to depict his tank as a mid production Sherman III with the more usual T54E1 track found in Commonwealth units. So that's the Asuka Mid-Production Sherman III kit with whoever's T54E1 track you want to use.

Paul
Brad-M
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2019 - 07:05 AM UTC
Thanks Paul. I wonder though how many of his tanks that he had were called Caribou I? Just curious. Thanks for the reply and confirming the thoughts I already had.

Cheers,
Brad
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2019 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Paul. I wonder though how many of his tanks that he had were called Caribou I? Just curious. Thanks for the reply and confirming the thoughts I already had.

Cheers,
Brad

Going by normal practice, there would have been only one Caribou I. Replacements would have been Caribou II, III, etc. IF the name Caribou was retained and IF he actually crewed the replacements.

Depending upon the situations and timing, he could have been shot out to Caribou I and put into a completely different tank made up of surviving crew from more than one tank. Also, if injured, he might have been out of the line for a bit, a new Caribou II fielded and he not be in command.

And, while I see the profile for Caribou I, I really wouldn't put too much faith in that profile being based terribly precisely on a specific vehicle unless you can find at least one photo of the vehicle that matches the visual specifics of that profile.

Profile artists frequently are working to deadlines and with incomplete info. Knowing that the unit had Sherman IIIs, the artist may simply have put his markings on a random/typical Sherman III image without it being very well researched that he had exactly that specification of Sherman III.

Now, in the one photo I did find of him standing in front of a Sherman the visible elements do match the profile, but could just as well match a similar era Sherman I or V, so it's not much help. And, if it's actually his Sherman Caribou I, the tank in the photo is covered liberally in track which the profile is not, so there's that.

So, just a word to the wise on all that.

Paul
Brad-M
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2019 - 12:34 PM UTC
Thanks again Paul. Kind of let's me play with an open palette which is fine by me.

Cheers,
Brad
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 - 09:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks again Paul. Kind of let's me play with an open palette which is fine by me.

Cheers,
Brad

Indeed. And the nice thing is that the Asuka mid production Sherman III kit is kinda perfect right out of the box. The only thing to add is the extra track and that's only if you assume Caribou I had that feature.

Paul
Brad-M
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 - 07:23 PM UTC
Hi Guys, So I finally have started my Tasca Sherman III and I have come to a bit of a dilemma,in that there are two different types of exhaust deflectors. Any idea which might be correct here? Is there an early, mid or late deflector? If building a mid production, do I select the larger or smaller deflector?

TIA
Brad
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

there are two different types of exhaust deflectors. Any idea which might be correct here?

Are they both for M4A2s? The diesels had their exhaust low down. Other Shermans had their up high.
Brad-M
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 - 12:03 PM UTC
Yes because the 2 schemes in the box get one or the other.
 _GOTOTOP