_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Springbok Sd Kfz
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2019 - 10:17 AM UTC
While researching the 6th South African Armored for my Sherman V AOP I found this photo. Looks like a Sd Kfz 7 to me. But I've not found reference to a recovery version. Field mod? Any thoughts on the crane type? It looks (from what I can see ) the 3 ton crane Miniart has out. All the other German cranes ... Bilstein and such .. all have pole booms. Last, any thoughts on the AoS? Looks like a solid color with a "9" on it.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2019 - 10:45 AM UTC
I think it's an Sd.Kfz 8. Here is a 9 captured one pulling a Crusader.

https://et.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fail:SdKfz_9_pulls_Crusader_tank_1942.jpg
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2019 - 10:48 AM UTC
I believe it's rather a Sd.Kfz 8...Maybe a one-off ?

H.P.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2019 - 11:52 AM UTC
I too think it an "8".

As for the crane... It does not look like any of the WWII German vehicle-mounted cranes that I have been able to find photos of in several Google searches using a range of call-outs and key words. It also does NOT look at all like any of the MiniArt cranes, nor like those put out by AFV Club or IBG or... on any of their truck-mounted crane kits.

Of course this does not mean that I have seen every type of German vehicle-mounted crane used during WWII, but I have likely seen ALMOST all of them... and likewise no guarantee that this wasn't an actual German-fabricated vehicle (albeit the photos showing "8" and "9" fitted with cranes for recovery service seem to show that the rear body sides were removed, unlike on the pictured vehicle)

It is pretty interesting to note that the boom is a fully-boxed-and-braced type - A type of boom structure not generally seen in smaller German cranes of the period (where boom frames usually featured a cross-braced bottom frame plus cables and, in some cases, tie-rods on the upper portion above the bottom frame), but something that was seen on some Allied cranes, where the boom is a non-articulating composite box that pivots at a base hinge...

Also interesting to note is that the vehicle camo-scheme is carefully carried over onto the crane boom - so the scheme was likely painted on after the crane was added.

Maybe this was a captured "8" that was field-shop-converted and painted by new management...

Cheers! Bob
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 - 02:18 AM UTC
I received an note from William Marshall about this photo. "I can confirm the following: Sdkfz 7 belonging to 14 Armd Div 2nd Line Transport Workshop under command of 6 SA Armd Div HQ. Recovering a White Scout Car. All covered in my book." (Camouflage and Markings of the 6th South African Armored Division. Part 1: Armored Vehicles: North Africa and Italy 1943-45) Still leaves questions about the crane and the AoS one the fender.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 - 03:29 AM UTC
I got curious since there was some confusion about the halftrack being an Sd.Kfz.7 or Sd.Kfz.8.
After asking Google about images I came to the following
conclusions:
1. They are hard to identify just from the looks/size
2. The number of holes in the discs of the three outer roadwheels can be used to id them. Seven holes says it is an Sd.Kfz.7, eight holes says that it is an Sd.Kfz.8
This is valid for the wartime versions with the sloping front grille. The early versions with a vertical grille could be different, my search for Sd.Kfz.7 returned an image of a halftrack with vertical grille which only had two outer road wheels and those had 8 holes, the distance between front axle and the front of the tracks was also larger (prototype??).

If it has 8 holes and looks a bit small with a sloping hood/bonnet it is probably an Sd.Kfz.6. Sd.Kfz.10 has 5 holes. If it is BIG and has 8 hole wheels it is an Sd.Kfz.9 ...

/ Robin
BogiBg
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 397 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 - 04:09 AM UTC
This is very interesting Sd.Kfz.7
Nice find, Robin.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 - 06:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The number of holes in the discs of the three outer roadwheels can be used to id them. Seven holes says it is an Sd.Kfz.7, eight holes says that it is an Sd.Kfz.8

Thanks for the tip Robin !

H.P.
covkid
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 - 08:58 AM UTC
Hi, the photo with the white scout car I have seen before in a referrence book for the sd.kfz7, by Ampersand I think.

As for the crane, it looks like a Coles crane of the type fitted to Thorneycroft Amazons amongst several others. Probably salvaged from a wrecked truck.

Looks like an interesting project.

Regards Jason.

put italicized text here
 _GOTOTOP