_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Best 1/35 scale Firefly ??
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 02:10 AM UTC
I have no clue what is available in this. Any ideas ?
J
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 02:15 AM UTC
Which version of the firefly, IC or VC?

Asuka/Tasca/Platz IC or Asuka/Tasca/Tamiya/Platz VC would be my guess. They are the same plastic according to scalemates.

And now that I said that everyone will prove me wrong, which gets you the correct answer.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 02:28 AM UTC
There is at least one new Firefly coming from Rye Field Model but I don't know if there are any reviews of it yet.
/ Robin
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 04:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Asuka/Tasca/Platz IC or Asuka/Tasca/Tamiya/Platz VC would be my guess. They are the same plastic according to scalemates.

And now that I said that everyone will prove me wrong, which gets you the correct answer.

I wanna show a tank in late June 1944 in Normandy,so whatever mark that would be and thank you Sir !
I know what you mean BTW,someone is always made to walk the gangplank before all others weigh in,
J
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 05:11 AM UTC

This one looks like a 1C.
Le Bény-Bocage is in Normandy
https://www.tripadvisor.se/Tourism-g4048676-Le_Beny_Bocage_Calvados_Basse_Normandie_Normandy-Vacations.html

/ Robin
kaleu
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 05:31 AM UTC
Tasca/Asuka kits are the best on the market, IMO. If I remember correctly, Tamiya also reboxed a Tasca firefly kit a few years ago.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 05:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks buddy ! Outstanding pic !
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 05:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tasca/Asuka kits are the best on the market, IMO. If I remember correctly, Tamiya also reboxed a Tasca firefly kit a few years ago.

Thanks Eric !
J
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I wanna show a tank in late June 1944 in Normandy,so whatever mark that would be and thank you Sir !
I know what you mean BTW,someone is always made to walk the gangplank before all others weigh in,
J

IIRC both the IC (on the M4 hull) and the VC (on the M4A4 hull) were available in Normandy, although the VC seems to have attracted a lot of camera attention from what I've seen.

The Tasca kit is great regardless of whoever boxes it, but based on the recent RFM M4A3E8 their new Firefly should be at least as good.
Kornbeef
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 07:16 AM UTC
Personally I've built the tasca MkV and its a lovely kit, only the tracks let it down. But I'd at least look into the new RFM one, the few shots I've seen have me hankering to build at least one more Firefly.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

it is a 1C of 23 Hussars 11 AD with Direct Vision. 11 AD had a number of the welded 1C's
Al
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 07:46 AM UTC
For a 35th Firefly at present (may change by the end of the month based on preview) in the timeframe you indicate go with the Tasca/Asuka/Tamiya (rebox) Vc. It will have markings for a Normandy vehicle and can be built pretty much OOB. It s a joy to build and the fit is first class. The Welded 1C has only been done by DML so far and to tell the truth it is not that bad a kit but suffers the usual DML fit problems. The Hybrid/Composite 1c started to appear in July to replace losses and again the Tasca/Asuka is the way to go however the DML kit (not the orange box or old Imperial series) is the way to go (minor fit issues but great detail). I personally would wait after seeing the previews of the new RFM one as it looks to be even more detailed than the Tasca one. Based on their M4A3 76mm HVSS they did the detail will be superb but the fit is not the crisp precise found in Tasca Shermans.

DML did a number of Firefly kits starting with the Vc but these all suffered to some extent from Either Hull length, Gun Mantlet position and various other detail no matter what version you find (The best is the VC in the Orange box Value range). They did a 1c Hybrid way back in the really old Imperial series and this is best avoided as is its makeover in the Orange box range. Their 1C Hybrid and Welded are both fine kits.
Al
Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 09:21 AM UTC
Hello Jerry

I really like the Tasca Vc. I've built a couple and it really is a nice kit.
If you don't mind splashing out a bit, the Resicast 17-Pdr breech does a nice job of filling the empty space viewed through that large circular hatch

Cheers

Sean
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 02:20 AM UTC
Tom,
Kieth,
Al and
Sean,
Thanks Gents for the important input and facts.
It looks for once that I have a nice range of options for building a Commonwealth vehicle. That has certainly not been the case for me as I begin doing this genre.
Now I want be forced to spend big bucks and endless searching on the interwebs,
Thanks again Gents!
J
 _GOTOTOP