_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
RyeField: Challenger 2 TES Megatron
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2019 - 01:35 AM UTC
The material used with the Challenger is called Rheinmetall Solar Sigma Shield.

https://www.rheinmetall-defence.com/en/rheinmetall_defence/systems_and_products/protection_systems/sonstige_schutzprodukte/solarshield.php

It acts primarly for thermal management.
Captain_America
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2019 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

Outstanding News, I'll have to start saving my pennies for this one.

It would be a challenge...er!...no pun intended, ...to try modelling it with the Rheinmetall MCS (Mobile Camouflage System) which is attached to the base vehicle with strong magnets (see image below).

The MSC acts both as a visual and thermal camouflage and can be provided in a pattern specific to the operating environment, thus there is no need to repaint the tank beneath.

Looking forward to hearing more about this kit, .

Cheers, .

G

I suppose you could re-create the tank snuggy look with some very thinly rolled and textured epoxy putty, but would require a very steady hand and even then, it may be difficult to replicate the scale thickness faithfully.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2019 - 05:10 AM UTC
What happened to the Queen of the Desert, as the Challenger was referred to during the Gulf War... I was reading about a description of the TES vehicle on another website, ok modellingnews, and the weight is a staggering 74 840kg. I checked and an M1A2C is 66.8 short tons / 73.6 long. And the T 90MS a nimble 47 short, 53 long. Whilst I guess for an MBT this is not much, it just seems like a lot on the battlefield.

For comparison, a King Tiger weights 68.7 / 76.9.

Ok, back to something more constructive
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2019 - 12:50 PM UTC
As a demonstrator, aren’t all the appliqué armour blocks inert? Presumably RFM will include the “not for operational deployment” appliqué armour.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2019 - 01:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As a demonstrator, aren’t all the appliqué armour blocks inert? Presumably RFM will include the “not for operational deployment” appliqué armour.

Technically, they should be inert.

As for the weight, that makes sense as Chobham is inherently heavy and the full package sandwich cannot be eliminated, meaning the armor engineers might be able to make it thinner, but the matrix formula should not change because Chobham can resist HEAT warheads better, and thus needs all the materials to make that composite sandwich.

I am surprised that the UK didn't go with the "Black Knight" upgrade and instead relied on passive armor.

https://www.baesystems.com/en/black-night-unveiled
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2019 - 02:32 PM UTC
“Black Knight” was dead the moment BAE & Rheinmetall merged into RBSL.
 _GOTOTOP