_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
MZ or MAG radio jeeps used on Leyte ??
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 - 03:08 AM UTC
I've researched and researched and can't find any info on the use of MZ or MAG radio jeeps used in conjunction with the V Marine Amphib Corp Artillery on Leyte .
Artillery spotters became useless after trying to deal with the mountains and jungle . The U.S. Army used Pipers to spot for the V Corp Marine and Army artillery . Were MZ or Mag radio jeeps used to communicate with the Pipers ?
I have some photos of MAG jeeps in the Philippines but no caption information on what units they served .

Any research help would be appreciated cuz I can't find Jack squat .
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 - 04:23 AM UTC
Not sure it will help a lot, but according to ibiblio.org :
"The Marines that took part in the Leyte landings were elements of the VAC Artillery, which had been attached to the XXIV Corps earlier in 1944, while still at Hawaii. The Marine complement consisted of the 5th 155mm Howitzer Battalion under the command of Lieutenant Colonel James E. Mills; the 11th 155mm Gun Battalion, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Thomas S. Ivey, and Headquarters Battery, led by Captain George K. Acker. Army field artillery battalions in the XXIV Corps were the 198th Field Artillery Battalion ( 155mm Howitzer), the 226th Field Artillery Battalion (155mm Gun), and the 287th Field Artillery Battalion (Observation)."

H.P.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 - 04:56 AM UTC
Interesting question. For them to have been used, they would have to have been suppressed, as were the MZ series. But for amphibious operations at Leyte they would have to have been waterproofed as well.
Production of waterproofed radio Jeeps didn't begin until January of 1945, too late for Leyte, although stopgap waterproof kits had been around for a while.
With Army Jeeps it's easy to tell - the "S" after the registration number. The USMC didn't make it as easy as they rarely had markings on their Jeeps.

By the way, you might find someone more knowledgeable than I if you get someone to edit that title.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 - 08:52 AM UTC
Thanks Frenchy , I've already researched all that but I want to thank you for always having relevant answers to all questions asked here on Armorama .

I want to add a Marine jeep to my build but I need to know what radios received spotter information from the Army Pipers on Leyte . Were they mobile jeep radios , fixed position radios within the batteries etc.

I have MAG jeep photos on Leyte but did they serve as a dual purpose for Marine air groups .... and artillery or just fighter/bomber fire control .

Thanks Robert I'm aware of the waterproof early and late efforts . I have non waterproof MZ photos as far back as Guadalcanal and Tarawa .
The whole story of the V Marine Corps Artillery serving on Leyte still leaves me to the answer as to what did the U.S. Army Pipers communicate to in the Marine and Army batteries . Fixed battery position radios or mobile [ jeep ] radios .

I'm sure the only way I'll find out is to build a Marine MZ or MAG radio jeep for the dio only to finally find a answer , "post build " lol .

Just because it's cool I love this field/shop mod Marine wading system on Guam .

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 - 09:12 AM UTC
That is indeed a cool field mod. The photo is cool in other respects as well. The snow chains for one. Why go through the trouble of removing the windshield and not the frame? Perhaps it was just broken. And of course once I mention that registration numbers on USMC Jeeps are rare, there's one right in the photo.

By the way, in my "limited" field artillery experience, we always had radios with the guns. Different eras, I know, but it seems to me that using a vehicle mounted radio stationed with the battery limits that vehicle's effectiveness.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 - 01:16 PM UTC
Yeah I thought about the " limited mobility " factor too but Leyte wasn't a tiny Pacific island and my reads mentioned fluid combat and movement .
I too had a chuckle over the missing windshield glass . The jeep with the snorkel has no windshield at all . The more I'm researching this and collecting photos the more I'm finding a lot of missing glass and no windshields at all . Marines rode em hard man !! More missing glass , what the hey ?

Also I've seen many , many chains on jeeps and half tracks in the Pacific .

I also think I've found a ding , ding , ding photo to answer my question somewhat . Not Marine MZ jeeps but , caption quoted Marine MAG jeeps , WC54'S and U.S. Army Pipers , Philippines . A little leery though I've read a lot of captions on WW2 photos that I've read different captions on the same photo to fit some ones narrative .
As long as I've got this photo I think I can somewhat safely start to build a Marine radio jeep to go with my other two Army jeep ventures .

cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 - 01:25 PM UTC
Oh and thanks to whoever changed the thread title . I don't have the FM to even know how do that .
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 - 01:35 PM UTC
Those look like International 1 ton, which the Marines used in place of the WC series. There is a lot to read over, but this site may have some information on how radios were used and what carried them.
http://www.navy-radio.com/index.htm

I saw a photo of an IH M-2-4 under restoration that had a remote mount or device for a radio transmitter.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2019 - 02:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh and thanks to whoever changed the thread title . I don't have the FM to even know how do that .

_GOTOTOP