_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Centurion Mk7 MBT conversion?
AKirchhoff
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2019 - 10:06 PM UTC
Hi!

I would like to ask a question regarding the Centurion Mk7 MBT.

During research for conversions of this engine deck and hull rear, I fould this:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/AFV-Club-1-35-Centurion-conversion-Mk-7/114007541123?hash=item1a8b610583:g:e0IAAOSwYTtcSKZD

Seems to look nice, however the parts look very rough in surface and show very dominant printing or laser lines (mainly at the rear)

Did someone use this or some of the other Centurion conversions this guy offers, can someone recomment it?

Or are there other conversions enclosing this engine deck/hull rear?

Thank you very much!

Andreas

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2019 - 03:29 AM UTC
Thanks for posting that. I had never seen his or any other conversion for that. It opens up many possibilities. (like using the leftover decals from the excellent Accurate Armour set) I did an engine deck like that and sent the master to a resin company about ten years ago, along with another louvered style engine deck, an elasticized mantlet, and a split hatch variant I made from old Sheridan hatches (not Legend, by the way) and the parts were lost in transit. I've never gotten around to redoing them completely, but I can send you photos of what I still have. The toughest part about the Mk 7 and variants based upon it is getting the weird angles of those covers correct on the rear hull extension. The actual engine deck doors are relatively easy. For the variant in the conversion you posted it's just strips of Evergreen with thinner strips on top and going over each edge. The cross section looks like a "T" with an extremely wide vertical part. You might need an old Tamiya Chieftain for fuel filler caps as well. That's what I used.

MfG
AKirchhoff
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2019 - 04:10 AM UTC
Hi Robert!
Thank you very much for your reply. The seller told me of this being sinter-laser 3D print. What I heard is that this material is harder to sand than than other 3D methods. The seller has more of these Centurion sets on offer. Actually I do not have decided yet. Sounds quite some afterwork for that price. Maybe I should consider trying your way. I also thought of using Evergreen on the deck. Have asked the seller for a chance touse shapeweays instead. Lets wait what he says...

Andreas
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2019 - 10:25 AM UTC
Andreas,
I've found one of the engine decks I restarted. Waiting for camera to recharge so I can take some photos. Now that I'm on a computer and not my phone I got a much better view of those parts. Woof!
No matter who he uses, there's just not enough detail on those armored fuel filter covers. You'd be better off doing it yourself.
I'll post photos later of what I did for those very antenna mounts on one of my turrets.
Removed by original poster on 12/23/19 - 01:37:26 (GMT).
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2019 - 01:37 PM UTC
First off, find the correct drawer of unfinished Centurion projects. Sadly there are more, in multiple scale no less, but all different...

I couldn't find the Mk 7 rear hull, it must be in yet another stash location. But here's something else we could use - Sho't rear hull extensions:

I managed to find the louvered engine deck I started for the second time:

And the turret with the extra antenna mounts:

Now I'm a little stoked about starting these up again. The metelastic mantlet doesn't take too long, and neither does the deck in that abyssmal 3D printed offering.

Just need some more rubber gun bumpers from an old Tamiya Chieftain if anyone has any...

Andreas has suggested a better company. (He knows who I sent the masters to) Maybe we'll do that.
mshackleton
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 559 posts
Armorama: 517 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2019 - 10:05 PM UTC
Hi Andreas
The guy has the right idea. He has quite a range of parts and conversions. The parts look like they have been designed quite well, but his dreadful 3D-printing completely lets his parts down. He needs a much finer resolution printer.
 _GOTOTOP