Hosted by Darren Baker
M47 Patton ...
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2019 - 10:10 AM UTC
Am I correct in thinking that the only small-scale M47 Patton is a resin kit from the French company, Model Miniature? I was hoping to find an injection-moulded plastic version, but have drawn a blank.

Any suggestions?

Paul
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2019 - 01:31 PM UTC
Roco HO Scale in plastic.
SWATdoc
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2019 - 01:49 PM UTC
Hello Paul,

Not too long ago, I saw a model set that offered an M47, HS30 and at least one other vehicle. It was in a smaller scale. I have no first hand knowledge of this kit and it may consist of ROCO vehicles for all I know. I am thinking that it was a Revell product.

Respectfully,

Allen
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2019 - 02:00 PM UTC
Artitec makes 1/87 M47 Pattons: https://www.artitecshop.com/en/m47-98126910.html
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 06:52 AM UTC
Many thanks to you all.

I had seen the Artitec item, but felt it was rather expensive. I was really hoping someone like Revell, Dragon or Trumpeter would have a 1/72-scale kit … sadly nothing.
My reason for asking is that I plan to put together a collection of AFVs with the theme 'The Hollywood Panzers'... mainly US vehicles in the guise of WW2 German tanks and halftracks (as commonly seen in the early movies). The M47 was to be painted and marked to represent a King Tiger, as it appeared in the film 'Battle of the Bulge'.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 07:25 AM UTC
I'm doing that with the old Italeri Priest and M47, and a US half track in the guise of a German one. Any guesses>
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 07:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm doing that with the old Italeri Priest and M47, and a US half track in the guise of a German one. Any guesses>

I'm sure that's a Desert based film but can't think which one. Something to do with Rommel maybe? Am I warm?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 08:20 AM UTC
If I were to say a series, and not a film it would be a dead giveaway. At least here in the US. Not sure about your side of the pond.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I were to say a series, and not a film it would be a dead giveaway. At least here in the US. Not sure about your side of the pond.

Could it be? Al
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Many thanks to you all.

I had seen the Artitec item, but felt it was rather expensive. I was really hoping someone like Revell, Dragon or Trumpeter would have a 1/72-scale kit … sadly nothing.
My reason for asking is that I plan to put together a collection of AFVs with the theme 'The Hollywood Panzers'... mainly US vehicles in the guise of WW2 German tanks and halftracks (as commonly seen in the early movies). The M47 was to be painted and marked to represent a King Tiger, as it appeared in the film 'Battle of the Bulge'.

In the 1970s there was an 1/72 M47 from a small Italian company, but it is now a collector's item. It needed work , but the shapes were there and with the M26 kits out now it wouldn't be that hard.

Why not do an M26 from Decision before Dawn or the 1950s Breakthrough?

Or do all the movies that had M24 Chaffees from Decision before Dawn to Desert Rats and Battle of El Alamein and the Chaffee Panther mock-ups of Is Paris Burning? and Night of the Generals ?

If you really want to get exotic do the Egyptian M4A4 with Amx-13 turret used as German tanks in a couple of 1960s movies made in Egypt.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 08:51 AM UTC
If I'm thinking about the same series...
I don't remember a Priest and the California National Guard got credit for the loan of the M47 and there was that pesky German M3 halftrack with the MG turret. Also, there was a HST that was converted to a big SPG with LOTS of cammo netting on it.
On a side note: With Hollywood grinding out propagandaish movies during/after WWII. I wonder why nobody asked the Army if they couldn't have or buy some of the German armor that was scrapped at the end of the war
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 08:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I'm thinking about the same series...
I don't remember a Priest and the California National Guard got credit for the loan of the M47 and there was that pesky German M3 halftrack with the MG turret. Also, there was a HST that was converted to a big SPG with LOTS of cammo netting on it.
On a side note: With Hollywood grinding out propagandaish movies during/after WWII. I wonder why nobody asked the Army if they couldn't have or buy some of the German armor that was scrapped at the end of the war

No spare parts. They were used for testing then as range targets and scrapped with one of each preserved at Aberdeen. Who wanted a Nazi tank? We have plenty of our own you can borrow. Ever see the M36 Panther mockup in the Tanks are Coming or the well camouflaged M26/M46 in Decision before Dawn and Breakthrough?

There were a few good mockups at first. a Walk in the Sun had a Pzkpfw I mockup and the M16 hslftrack was supposed to be a Sdkfz 250/9 which actually was encountered at Salerno.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 09:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We had the short lived The Rat Patrol over here. Is that it?
 _GOTOTOP