_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Hobby shops in Barcelona?
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 04:13 AM UTC
I'll be there 12/28 through 1/3/2020, found the Jordi Rubio retail store on Google, anything else that anyone knows of that I should try and get to? We're staying in the center of town, but I understand public transpo and taxis are both good. Thanks in advance!
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 333 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 04:39 AM UTC
Hi Russel,

Jordi Rubio is probably the best shop you can go in Spain. Is not far from La Sagrada Familia.

Kind regards,
Angel
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 05:04 AM UTC
Thank you Angel. It sounds like we'll be within walking distance, staying at the Avenida Palace. I'm jazzed: tapas, cava, wine, beer, and a hobby shop, all right there. What could go wrong?
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 06:17 AM UTC
For modelling supplies like paints and weathering products, you can visit also Bellas Artes Ferran (Carrer Ferran, 39). Best prices I have found.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 11:40 AM UTC
Missed this before we split, but thanks. I did get to the Jordi Rubio shop on New Years Eve, what a cool place. It was FULL of models, some nice reference books and a few accessories, and my favorite, a good stock of Friul tracks. I bought some Merk2 tracks, the DEP book on T-34s in Israel and a couple of JR gun barrels, and was quite encouraged at how busy the place was. My wife said: "Take a picture!" so we did:
thumbnail jordi rubio by Russel Baer, on Flickr
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 01:13 PM UTC
Hi, I was there a couple of days ago, and it truly is a great shop. I also was impressed at the range of kits available, how busy it was, and the quality of work on display.

I didn’t buy anything as I’m still on the road, don’t want to carry too much, and risk of breaking stuff in transit.

The IDF dio in the window is fantastic!
landshark4
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 103 posts
Armorama: 88 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 02:25 PM UTC
I was stationed in Barcelona for a couple of years and was amazed at the number of model, game, and assorted nerd stores there were. Plus it seemed like every department store and toystore had a small selection at least. And then I worked my way to Jordi Rubio. It was paradise on earth. I spent who knows hoe many hours exploring every nook and cranny upstairs and downstairs. I was going there so much and coming out with an armload of stuff every trip. Something else to see.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2020 - 03:31 AM UTC
It truly was a fine example of a healthy business, supported by a wide group of customers. I dug it. I didn't see an IDF dio though, must have been a new addition. They did have what looked like a Middle Eastern street scene in the window, fabulous work.
I was also conservative in what I brought back, also thinking about airport security. I brought a kit back from Skyway Hobbies in Seattle one time, carry-on, a Takom M60A1 Rise/Passive with a box of Friuls inside, and the TSA about wigged out. I had to explain the concept of miniature individual link tracks, and they actually got a supervisor involved. Gee whiz Wally.....
kowalski
Visit this Community
Baleares, Spain / España
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2020 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It truly was a fine example of a healthy business, supported by a wide group of customers. I dug it. I didn't see an IDF dio though, must have been a new addition. They did have what looked like a Middle Eastern street scene in the window, fabulous work.
I was also conservative in what I brought back, also thinking about airport security. I brought a kit back from Skyway Hobbies in Seattle one time, carry-on, a Takom M60A1 Rise/Passive with a box of Friuls inside, and the TSA about wigged out. I had to explain the concept of miniature individual link tracks, and they actually got a supervisor involved. Gee whiz Wally.....

Funny you say that. I had the same problem 15 years ago at Amsterdam’s Schiphol. In my case the supervisor involved was a fellow modeller that fully understood me.
As for Jordi Rubio I agree that it is probably the best shop left in Barcelona and probably in Spain. Sadly, as in the rest of the world,most of them are closing down. Last xmas I found myself visiting for the last time the shop that got me into the hobby, M113 that until recently was the best shop in Spain.

Well...
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 - 03:58 AM UTC
The story of our times.
 _GOTOTOP