_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Painting Hesslers Tiger
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 11:16 AM UTC
Okay guys I recently received my Takom M47 I知 going to begin building it next week. My question here is who makes the best paint to replicate Hesslers Tiger. We all know it was a grey but it seems like it would be a bit on the lighter side. I could be wrong but I feel like my modulation set for panzer grey the last light grey modulation may work for this but I知 not totally confident i this. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 12:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay guys I recently received my Takom M47 I知 going to begin building it next week. My question here is who makes the best paint to replicate Hesslers Tiger. We all know it was a grey but it seems like it would be a bit on the lighter side. I could be wrong but I feel like my modulation set for panzer grey the last light grey modulation may work for this but I知 not totally confident i this. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

I have to say I love the irony of your question.

You want to obtain the most accurate colour for a subject that was from one of the most inaccurate films ever made, and the depiction of the Tigers being one of the worst of these inaccuracies.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 01:13 PM UTC
To be honest, I do not think the set designers spent much time on the color. Panzer gray would have been darker. I am sure you will have to calibrate your eyeball for this. Start with navel gray and see how it looks compared to some still photos from the movie. Lighten/darken to match.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 03:43 PM UTC
I've often wondered if they weren't green tanks filmed through a filter. They don't really look gray to me.
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 04:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have to say I love the irony of your question.

You want to obtain the most accurate colour for a subject that was from one of the most inaccurate films ever made, and the depiction of the Tigers being one of the worst of these inaccuracies.

Now that i think of it, it is quite ironic. I just think it痴 kinda funny that we (me) like building a Hollywood subject and we (me) want to get it as right to the movie when the movie wasn稚 even correct in itself.
 _GOTOTOP