_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
sherman m4a3 (75mm) late turret detail
praggio
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 06:03 PM UTC
I am about to build the asuka M4A3 late (75mm), and have a question. I have a rather nice sherman resin stowage set by Legends, that is designed for the m4a1. The set includes a piece that fits at the back of the turret, bedrolls, packs etc. but the m4a3 turret has details that the m4a1 doesn't. There is a prong on each rear side of the turret pointing backwards, and a bracket mount type fixture in the centre of the turret rear which would make the mounting of the resin stowage part difficult because the turret rear of the m4a3 is not a flat surface like the m4a1. What are these details, and were they on all m4a3 turrets. Basically, can I leave them off the kit in order to use the resin stowage part. Many thanks
Paul
mudlark
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 08:12 PM UTC
The brackets held the barrel of a disassembled 50 cal m/gun
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 09:40 PM UTC
On the late turrets the the MG storage was from the factory. The 75mm turrets were all the same basic turret, regardless of M4. M4A1.M4A2, what ever. The late production ones had a "bed roll rack" on the rear of the hull for storage. As for the turret rear (or sides) they did not have ways to hang anything ion them unless it was a field mod. http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/turret_types/75mm_turrets.html
MAROT79
Visit this Community
Hungary
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 10:00 PM UTC
The two L shaped brackets on the side of the rear bustle were introduced later in production, but the pintle and clamp on the rear turret wall were on all turrets since M4A3(75)W production AFAIK.

Adam
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2019 - 03:01 AM UTC
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/turret_types/75mm_turrets.html
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2019 - 05:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am about to build the asuka M4A3 late (75mm), and have a question. I have a rather nice sherman resin stowage set by Legends, that is designed for the m4a1. The set includes a piece that fits at the back of the turret, bedrolls, packs etc. but the m4a3 turret has details that the m4a1 doesn't. There is a prong on each rear side of the turret pointing backwards, and a bracket mount type fixture in the centre of the turret rear which would make the mounting of the resin stowage part difficult because the turret rear of the m4a3 is not a flat surface like the m4a1. What are these details, and were they on all m4a3 turrets. Basically, can I leave them off the kit in order to use the resin stowage part. Many thanks
Paul

As stated the 50 cal mounts are standard and should be there. I would not use the resin parts on this turret and save them for another project.
 _GOTOTOP