_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Some TOW questions
Mostlyharmless
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2019 - 06:27 AM UTC
Hey guys-
Maybe one of you who has used/seen/been trained on this weapon system can answer a couple of detail questions?

I'd long assumed that the missile tube was loaded into its launcher with end caps in place. Then I found this pic-

Looks like the front end cap has been removed from the tube, and is sitting on the large boxy thing behind the launcher. Normal procedure for loading a TOW round? So if you happen to look down the barrel of a launcher, you'd be looking at the nose of the missile? I'm guessing that the cap is retained in case the round is removed from the launcher without being fired, so it can be resealed? For TOW versions with a telescoping probe, does the probe extend once the cover is removed or does it stay collapsed until the missile fires? I'm guessing it stays retracted- but the throat of the launcher would probably be long enough to keep an extended probe covered before launch. Would you see it?

Next question-
TOW rounds are often (but certainly not always) seen with a wrap covering the back end of the tube. Looks like this.

The wrap appears to cover the end of the tube that protrudes past the rear end of the launcher. It looks fairly substantial, and is secured by webbing straps running through buckles and velcroed into place. What is this? I'm guessing it provides some ballistic/thermal protection to operator as the missile is fired? Why is it present sometimes, but not others? There are plenty of pics of live rounds (brown and yellow stripes) in launchers without this wrap.

Thanks!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2019 - 08:20 AM UTC
Those in the know will probably come to the rescue but in the meantime you may take a look at the user's manual (even though it's for a 1980's era TOW...) :

http://www.towgunner.com/Operator_and_Organizational_Maintenance_TOW.pdf

Check out chapter 2-34 "LOADING ENCASED MISSILE INTO LAUNCH TUBE FOR TRIPOD MOUNTED TOW WEAPON SYSTEM"

H.P.
Mostlyharmless
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2019 - 10:36 AM UTC
Wow- that's kinda fun! Thanks.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2019 - 10:48 AM UTC
Let me start by making clear that I have never fired a TOW round. That said I am guessing that the "wrap" you are seeing might be the wireless rounds with the transmitter radio gear? Please reference the links below... Hope this helps
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/262431&ord=1&page=2

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/13483
 _GOTOTOP