_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Archer 1/35 USMC M1A1 in Iraq questions
twong529
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 01:32 AM UTC
I have the Archer dry transfers for some USMC M1A1's in Iraq in the NATO camo. I am looking for photos and hull numbers as Archer doesn't provide any hull numbers or even any instructions. Archer says to go to their web site to see photos but they only have two very small thumbnails which don't provide any help at all.

This is the sheet I have and looking for any help. Thanks!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 01:59 AM UTC
Here's a side view of "Carnivore" :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/popaditchforcongress/4014896072/in/album-72157622908056884/

Top view :

H.P.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 02:15 AM UTC
Marines don't use hull numbers at most you might have a 6 digit SN number outside of any operation code/unit symbol ( => in this case). but per Frenchy's spot this vehicle doesn't have have one visible.

The number would be on hull side between the last side skirt and sprocket.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 03:35 AM UTC
If you plan on painting it as seen in the photo, the tank is dirty enough that I wouldn't spend much effort in masking the NATO scheme. You can't see it. It looks more like an overall green base coat.
twong529
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 04:02 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies. Greatly appreciated!

I was mostly looking for Boregasm. The small photo on the Archer web site shows the barrel and the front of the skirt with the D/2 so will probably just go with that one.

I have the Blast Models bridge pushing set and was also wondering which M1A1 used it? I can't find any photos of the specific type that Blast Models made. I have seen a couple photos of the one from Perfect Scale Modellbau but am more interested in the one from Blast Models seeing I already have it.

I also have the Dragon mine plough and want to use it on one of the USMC NATO camo versions used in Iraq. Can anyone ID either of these.

I noticed this one still has the MCD mounted, was this from the initial invasion? I also noticed it has the exhaust heat shield stored on top of the EAPU. Is it common for the USMC to use those exhaust heat shields in Iraq? Also, can anyone ID this particular one?

Looking to trade for a couple Meng 1/35 M1A1 AIM kits if anyone has some they don't plan on building.
Here is my sale/trade list with other kits I am looking to trade for.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/278385&page=1
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 04:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you plan on painting it as seen in the photo, the tank is dirty enough that I wouldn't spend much effort in masking the NATO scheme. You can't see it. It looks more like an overall green base coat.

Yes, "Carnivore" was overall Forest Green, not NATO camo.

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 04:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the Blast Models bridge pushing set and was also wondering which M1A1 used it? I can't find any photos of the specific type that Blast Models made.

"Carnivore" can be seen fitted with it. I have a picture showing this and it's the configuration chosen by Mike Witous for his inspiring build :

http://armorama.com/forums/143666&page=1

H.P.
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 04:35 AM UTC
Terence,

Your first plow tank is from 1st platoon, Alpha Co, 8th Tanks. They were a reserve unit and did not get the MCD issued to them. They had very interesting markings using a stylized A (for Alpha) on the fender and grenade box - combined with an Africa Korps marking. Some tanks even had a large tiger on the skirts, repeated on the grenade box. The Meng kit has markings from one of the 8th tanks.

These guys fought at Nasiriyah and were tasked with supporting the rescue efforts of the lost US Army maintenance folks who got ambushed and captured.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 04:40 AM UTC
Which one do you want to build?
twong529
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 11:10 AM UTC
Thanks again for the replies.

Carnivore would be nice to do with the bride pushing ram but not really fond of the overall green scheme. Was hoping to find one in the NATO camo scheme.

Quoted Text

Which one do you want to build?

I am looking to do any in the NATO camo. Would really like to do one with the mine plough and another with the bridge pushing ram.
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 11:18 AM UTC
Additional detail on the 8th Tanks track above. The flag on the antenna is the Kentucky state flag. The name of the tank is Money Shot and it has stylized lettering, hand painted by the crew. The bore evacuator is twisted in this photo, from the turret wildly scraping across the back deck, so you can't quite see the lettering in this pic.

They originally had the fuel bladders like most other units. And like most other units they dropped them as soon as they could. Another interesting detail about this company is that most tank had two long 2x4 strips of lumbar tied together and they were either carried on the back deck or more commonly hung along a side skirt - used for quickly mounting the tank.
twong529
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 11:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Terence,

Your first plow tank is from 1st platoon, Alpha Co, 8th Tanks. They were a reserve unit and did not get the MCD issued to them. They had very interesting markings using a stylized A (for Alpha) on the fender and grenade box - combined with an Africa Korps marking. Some tanks even had a large tiger on the skirts, repeated on the grenade box. The Meng kit has markings from one of the 8th tanks.

These guys fought at Nasiriyah and were tasked with supporting the rescue efforts of the lost US Army maintenance folks who got ambushed and captured.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I did see the markings in the Meng kit. Hoping to find one or two kits if anyone is willing to trade.
twong529
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 11:49 AM UTC
Found this photo showing the bridge pushing ram. Can't read the barrel name though.

Also found these photos of Stormin Norman showing the mine plough.

Another with the mine plough

I would like to do the one with the bridge pushing ram and either one with the mine plough.
 _GOTOTOP