_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Airfix 1/35 Cromwell
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2020 - 10:47 AM UTC
Being reported on Track-Link that Airfix are to release a 1/35 scale Cromwell
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2020 - 12:29 PM UTC
Well hopefully this is a new release late model hull, type F maybe. However the small picture looks to me to be the same configuration as the Tamiya kit. Hard to make out details but definitely a type 1 cupola, not the type 2 with the all round vision blocks. Really nothing to do at this point than wait and see...
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2020 - 01:15 PM UTC
The information at present is based on leaks, but there is an "official" launch on Monday. At present it appears to be 2 Cromwells, a Mk 4 and a Mk 6, which was the 95 mm CS version. As to whether they will have C,D,E,or F Hulls is not known at present. They also appear to be continuing re boxing pf Academy Kits with A Priest being among the re-issues.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2020 - 12:08 AM UTC
While I too am looking forward to this release, the discussion really belongs in the Armor/AFV forum rather than Campaigns - mods can you please move this thread?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2020 - 04:20 AM UTC
Will these be new or are they Academy like the other offerings they have?
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2020 - 04:44 AM UTC
It appears that these will be new kits, as the only other mainstream Cromwell kits are from Tamiya.
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2020 - 04:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It appears that these will be new kits, as the only other mainstream Cromwell kits are from Tamiya.

Don't forget the SKP kits - which included both a Mk IV and a MK VI.

nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2020 - 06:13 AM UTC
Scalemates list it as a new tool. They also show the SKP model in its original and revised form, and they are usually good at linking re boxed models. Track Links also discussed this possibility, but the consenus was that it was unlikely, as Airfix tend not to do etch with their kits.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2020 - 06:47 AM UTC
We live in hope as my build stalled while I try to keep up with life and work that has to be done.
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2020 - 07:39 AM UTC
Hi Darren. I was going to ask how you're build was going. Same problem we all seem to have at present.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2020 - 10:37 AM UTC
Yep - I can find "how to make" videos on every subject except time...

IIRC the bulk of the SKP kit was pantographed from the Tamiya one. There was a scuffle over on M-L suggesting the original leak of info has prompted Airfix to pull a cease & desist on the leakers, so one wonders how real it actually is? I do hope they do it just to have options.
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2020 - 11:25 AM UTC
Hopefully we will find out tomorrow. By the way Tom, thanks for getting this thread moved to the appropriate forum. My mistake.I must take time to learn how to post properly.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2020 - 12:44 PM UTC
Airfix will be making announcements tomorrow (Jan. 6) morning.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2020 - 03:07 PM UTC
They also appear to be reboxing Thunder's Case tractor. Note the Cromwell has a hedgerow cutter, the same mistake Tamiya made. Let's see what happens!
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2020 - 06:19 AM UTC
Track Links are reporting new molds, and the Type F hull With Type D deck at least on the Mk V1.
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2020 - 07:07 AM UTC
Haven't seen pictures yet (Airfix site is down right now!) but if true this is great news.

And not before time! It has been y e a r s since I built the 1/32 Crusader and have been wanting more ever since!
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2020 - 07:49 AM UTC
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here - and I admit to not normally modelling WW2 stuff - but do we actually need another Cromwell - albeit conceivably differing from Tamiya's version? Isn't Tamiya's model pretty good even by today's standards? I admit to my only contact with it was as a base for the Accurate Armour Charioteer conversion some years ago, and it seemed a sound enough, detailed kit to me.

If I was a WW2 modeller and found that Airfix were tooling up something new and Allied then I would have hoped for, say, the A30 Challenger; furthermore I always thought that Airfix missed a trick by not embracing 1:35 much earlier and should, arguably, have concentrated on British subjects - especially modern (well, I would say that), but say, an injected Ferret or Saracen would have been nice.

Apologies for the hijack - and feel free to shoot me down! I suppose we should really just rejoice that something new - and Allied - is coming out anyway.

Brian
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2020 - 08:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here - and I admit to not normally modelling WW2 stuff - but do we actually need another Cromwell - albeit conceivably differing from Tamiya's version? Isn't Tamiya's model pretty good even by today's standards?

Brian

Regardless of how good or bad the Tamiya Cromwell is, purchases of it do not make any money for Airfix, or any other manufacturer apart from Tamiya. It's a bit like the usual old comment trotted out when a manufacturer announces a new Tiger or Panzer IV, "Do we really need another" If they can make money from it then whats the problem.
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2020 - 08:23 AM UTC
I think you're last sentence really sums it up. The Tamiya Cromwell is imho very good, and still rates highly on many peoples list, including my own, as one of the best kits available despite being 20 years old. It is however the only "mainstream" Cromwell, whereas there are umpteen Valentines, Sherman Fireflies, Lees /Grants etc. There are even three M10 Achilles and two Archers, which , whilst they played an important role, were, again imho not as significant as the Cromwell. Personally, I would have preferred to see a retooled Crusader, which would have been a link to Airfix's heritage or a Comet, or coming from leftfield a Covenanter, but not a Challenger, which proves the point that if it doesn't look right, it probably isn't , but if the Cromwell is successful, then these may yet happen.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2020 - 09:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here - and I admit to not normally modelling WW2 stuff - but do we actually need another Cromwell - albeit conceivably differing from Tamiya's version? Isn't Tamiya's model pretty good even by today's standards? I admit to my only contact with it was as a base for the Accurate Armour Charioteer conversion some years ago, and it seemed a sound enough, detailed kit to me.

If I was a WW2 modeller and found that Airfix were tooling up something new and Allied then I would have hoped for, say, the A30 Challenger; furthermore I always thought that Airfix missed a trick by not embracing 1:35 much earlier and should, arguably, have concentrated on British subjects - especially modern (well, I would say that), but say, an injected Ferret or Saracen would have been nice.

Apologies for the hijack - and feel free to shoot me down! I suppose we should really just rejoice that something new - and Allied - is coming out anyway.

Brian

Given that the Tamiya one is pretty limited and represents an earlier one then yes, we need some with later Engine Decks and Hull types . Yes, I can spend the cost of the Tamiya kit on resin conversions and do it but to an allied modeller this question is like asking a German Modeller did we need anymore Panthers after Tamiya did their G

Al
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2020 - 09:52 AM UTC
Fair enough Al!

Brian
Pongo_Arm
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 147 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2020 - 10:10 AM UTC
We are in a strange place, where people can say there are too many M3 kits. lol
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2020 - 12:57 PM UTC
You can never get too many M-3 but Takom and Miniart between them appear to have covered almost every variant available. Long may this renewed interest in allied armour continue. I also see that ICM are releasing a FCM36 light tank
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2020 - 01:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You can never get too many M-3 but Takom and Miniart between them appear to have covered almost every variant available. Long may this renewed interest in allied armour continue. I also see that ICM are releasing a FCM36 light tank

. the more the merrier
 _GOTOTOP