_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Best 1/35 Leopard 2 A6 kit out there
oyoy23
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2020 - 04:23 PM UTC
Thanks
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2020 - 06:53 PM UTC
Hi;

The Tamiya 2A6 is the Best IMHO, I have built all of the Leopards in series ! Now in reality it will all come down to personal preference; As there will be some who don't like Tamiya !

CHEERS; MIKE.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2020 - 08:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Tamiya 2A6 is the Best IMHO

No, it's not. I do like Tamiya kit a lot, but it is not the best anymore (it is 20 years old!). Currently the best is the new Border kit.
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2020 - 11:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The Tamiya 2A6 is the Best IMHO

No, it's not. I do like Tamiya kit a lot, but it is not the best anymore (it is 20 years old!). Currently the best is the new Border kit.

Old does not equate to bad.
If the OP had clarified what they were looking for, this would help.
Best for accuracy?
Betsy for price compared to what I get in the box?
Best for fit?
Best for ease of build?
Best price?
Best for “Hey, I want something that looks like a Leo 2 on my shelf, so I don’t care if the details under the side skirts are soft” etc...etc...
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Old does not equate to bad.

I never said it's bad - just the opposite. But not "the best" anymore, unless maybe in the "ease of build" category, as it is simpler than the Border kit.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 07:37 AM UTC
Hi;

Its obvious somebody in Eastern Europe did not read the rest of the Quote; And I have the Border kit in my collection and IMHO its Not Better than the Tamiya 2A6 !

CHEERS; MIKE.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 08:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

somebody in Eastern Europe did not read the rest of the Quote

1. Yes, I read the whole text.

2. Check the map of Europe again - Poland is in Central Europe, not Eastern. It was "eastern", when it was behind the Iron Curtain, but in reality the very center of European continent lies in Poland.

And we have to agree to disagree about the Border kit... It is not perfect, but IMNSHO it has the edge over the Tamiya classic in almost every aspect except for the ease of build.
errains
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 09:46 AM UTC
Hello Sean,

I would say that only yourself can answer that question as you will be the person doing the "Building". Might I suggest you conduct a little research starting here...Scalemates: Leopard 2

Once you finish doing that we can help answer any questions you might have regarding Leopard kits you are interested in.

Good Luck
U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 10:05 AM UTC
There is Meng too. I've not built the Leopard but I have built several other kits by them. Fit is outstanding as is detail.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 10:14 AM UTC
Hi

You may want to check out here for comment recommendation if what you've already read hasn't given you the answer your looking for http://www.leopardclub.ca/
recceboy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 706 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 02:42 PM UTC
The Tamiya kit is showing its age and is soft on detail, now for a good Leo 2A6 , I would suggest the Border Models Leopard 2A5/2A6, which has superior moulding and crispness in parts, plus better in the detail department.

It all comes down to what you want to build, but my money is not on the Tamiya kit , but Border.

Coming from a guy who commanded Leopards.

Cheers

Anthony
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 04:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have built all of the Leopards in series !

Of course you have. But any photos to show us? Even a crappy mobile phone pic?

CHEERS! Jim
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 06:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There is Meng too.

No, there isn't. Meng don't have Leopard 2A6 kit. 2A7 kit is close, but you cannot build 2A6 out of the box.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 04:05 AM UTC
Aside from a bit of "contest", this was VERY INTERESTING and informative!

I've always been a Leopard fan - Built one (perhaps Italeri? Maybe the old Tamiya 1A2 kit .... but I didn't get the wading stack...) back ca 1974. Worked with Leopards in NATO in the later 1970's - including use of those wading stacks that I didn't have in my old kit...

But haven't picked up one since! But this thread has poked my head and rekindled interest in maybe building one! And Alan's link to the LeopardClub site has sealed it!

Looks like the Border kit may well be my one foray into this very cool and very long-serving line of modern tanks!

So my sincere THANKS to all of you; now I'll get to go spend yet more money buying boxes of styrene!

Model on, Leopard fans! I look forward to someone posting a Leopard somewhere pretty soon!

PS: The OP asked for opinions and recommendations. Everyone has a perspective and certainly grounds for whatever opinion they have and offer. What I don't understand is why anyone wants to try and shout down or put down someone else when they offer their different opinion. Maybe our collective New Year's Resolution(s) could include seeking and contributing to generation of greater civility and friendly interchange among us, who share one of the greatest hobbies ever invented (my OPINION, of course! ) and are experiencing the awesome richness of actually being able to easily interact and exchange on that hobby? Please lets have FUN and be friendly in what is clearly a Platinum Age in something we all LOVE!

Cheers! Bob
agriamodeling
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 206 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 05:38 AM UTC
Hi Bob,

Let me draw your attention to the Leo 2 campaign here, starting in May. I am sure you will see tens of impressive builds. Even if you buy now the Border kit, you could wait for that campaign start and participate. It is a good help in references and tips, and fun with progressing with other fellow modelers.

Tamas
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 07:51 AM UTC
I totally agree with you, Tamas!

Bob, go and get that Border kit (I also think about that ....) and join us at the 40 Years Leopard 2 Campaign starting in May 2020. I believe we'll get tons of information and will see lots of fantastic builds. I'm really looking forward to this.

Have fun!
Torsten
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 08:35 AM UTC
@ Tamas & Torsten:

Hey! That sounds like a great idea to me! Thanks for bringing up that looming Leopard campaign - I think I'll try to jump in and build a Leopard along-side all you type-fans!

Bob
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 10:13 AM UTC
Hi all,
While we are on the topic of Leopard (I got curious)- but it's not a Leopard 2A6, what are my options for Strv. 122 (based on Leo 2A5 version)? I've always thought it looked more futuristic than 2A5.
I've read all the bad things about Hobby Boss 82404. Is that my only option? What are the base and aftermarket options?
errains
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 11:36 AM UTC
Hello James,
Currently your only real option is the good ol Kit Bash! Marrying the Tamiya Leopard 2A5(I Think) with the Hobby Boss Kit. Luck would have it that someone already did this...Chris Jerret, and a masterful job he did! Check out the link below to get a feel for it...

CJ Strv-122

Leopard Club also sells a small publication on how Chris did the Kit Bash. It's totally worth the small cost.

LF06 Swedish Heavy Metal

Hmmm....Maybe I should dig my two kits out and start my own Strv-122
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 04:01 PM UTC
Hi;

The One point of objection's which for some unknown reason which some people just can't grasp; ! Is you get only what you are willing to get out of your Hobby
I For One am not A Typical Builder, and Have some Bad Faults, I Have A Huge Collection of Armor. I Stated that I have Built all of the series of Leopards ! Nineteen (19) built and Completed, with another Six (6) to Go !!
Another Fault of mine is the T-72; Fourteen (14) Built and completed, Not Counting the T-90s !!! Most of the guy's in my Club think that I am Crazy ! And there Probably Rite !!!1

CHEERS; MIKE.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 04:28 PM UTC
Hi Guys;

I Feel that I Must Apologize for taking this Off Topic !! I had Better start practicing what I preach !!!!!!!!

CHEERS; MIKE.
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 05:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello James,
Currently your only real option is the good ol Kit Bash! Marrying the Tamiya Leopard 2A5(I Think) with the Hobby Boss Kit. Luck would have it that someone already did this...Chris Jerret, and a masterful job he did! Check out the link below to get a feel for it...

CJ Strv-122
Leopard Club also sells a small publication on how Chris did the Kit Bash. It's totally worth the small cost.

LF06 Swedish Heavy Metal

Awesome stuff! Thank you, Eric!
MB6400
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello James,

CJ Strv-122

LF06 Swedish Heavy Metal

Hmmm....Maybe I should dig my two kits out and start my own Strv-122

Interesting link and idea .... since I have both kits on stock, I ordered the file ;-)

Might be the right push to start a decent Strv-122 project ;-)

Regards,
Marc
errains
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 08:46 AM UTC
James and Marc you're both welcome! Anything to help get the motivation and inspiration for your next project.

I even pull out my two kits today and was looking them over...Maybe the time is fast approaching to start this mtself.
blacksad
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 198 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 02:48 AM UTC
Hello all,

Quick question here :

I bought a complete conversion to bring a tamiya 2a6 up to a canadian 2a6m (without the cage armor) from leopard club..

I didn't knew that a new competitor entered the market (border). Would it be worth it to get the border kit instead ?
 _GOTOTOP