_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Late Tiger 1's
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 04:03 AM UTC
I have looked into this and have some answers but was interested if anyone had a definitive yes or no ... ( I would even be prepared to go with a maybe lol)

Question, is there any recorded image/reference to a late model steel wheeled Tiger 1 NOT having a zimmerit coating applied ?

For instance, were the Tiger 1's you see in the final battles of Berlin all late models with zimm or hybrids with old/new hulls & turrets mix matched ?

Any info always appreciated.

John
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 04:58 AM UTC
I can see only two Tiger 1 in Berlin.

"323" is an Early. I don't see evidence of turret swapping. It never had Zimmerit.

The other one has an Early turret rebuilt with a new roof, and Zimmerit added. The hull is from 1942 and never had Zimmerit. I don't know if they belonged together.

David
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 05:09 AM UTC
Cheers for the steer David on that, the images I have seen are very hazy and I couldnt quite make out the details. main reason I am asking is I have the Dgn 6406 Late Tiger 3 in 1 and I was seeing if there was any way to avoid putting Zimm on it, but I am pretty sure all produced late models had it as a standard fit ?
Also not sure what zimm sheets which will be best to use on it as I just cant face going down the DIY putty Zimm route ......

Are the Tigers you are on about the images from the Panzer Division Müncheberg ?
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 07:42 AM UTC
We've not seen any Lates without Zimmerit.

David
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 01:29 AM UTC
Atak is the zimm I perfer to use.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 05:06 AM UTC
Thanks Greg, I will look into that one and go from there.

David, thanks for all the info.

John
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 11:22 PM UTC
Hi John. I'm very interested in what you're gonna do with it. I can also say that David is of a great help and interest when a Tiger build comes up.
I started a rather cheap kit from AFV Club, a Tiger I Late(st) and I want to make a Befehlspanzer out of it. All in preparation for the Building a Photo Campaign.
Just to get some feeling with the camo. http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/282477
Great stuff all the way. I used ATAK and its such a nice material, easy and good quality.

Happy Modeling,

RJ
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 04:00 AM UTC
Hi RJ, I agree, David has been a great help and its always good to get a second opinion if you are not sure.

The dragon kit is nice and crisp and very well detailed which I think will need the minimum of PE. I looked at Davids info on it on his Tiger1 site and that will definitely be getting used more as a ref when I actually do the build. I think the ATAK Zimm will be the way to go, one of the other guys recommended it as well.

When I do build it, it will be either be a Late or Final version, but a very beaten up one, bruised, but with some fight still left in it. Hopefully will be starting mid 2020 as I am down for 3 campaigns (Build a photo, Tank Destroyer and my Golden Memories) and I have 90% E100 super heavy, a 90% King Tiger and an 85 M4a2 to finish lol .... and I have a great idea for a build if anyone starts a What if campaign lol
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 - 11:21 AM UTC
Atak allows you to do realistic damage to the zimm.
 _GOTOTOP