_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What to do?
Bravo36
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 09:43 AM UTC
Hi folks. I’m getting depressingly serious here. I, like many modelers, am getting old. Old enough in my case to be preparing my will.

The situation brought up a question. What will my son do with all of my modeling stuff? Reference books, kit inventory, tools, paints, etc. There’s a lot of value there, for someone.

I can’t imagine my heirs trying to sell the stuff on eBay, or wherever. I don’t even expect to make any money off of any of it. I just don’t want to see it wind up in the trash (of course I’ll be dead – I won’t ‘see’ anything, but you know what I mean.)

Any suggestions on what to do with it all?

Post a notice on Armorama? ‘Come to Chandler, AZ with a truck.’

Sorry for posting in this forum, but...
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 10:09 AM UTC
Hi Ralph,

I have some ideas. Maybe they will be of some use to you.

1. Contact a military unit and have the items donated to their support group.
2. Contact a scouting unit and donate it to the youth.
3. Contact a boys and girls club and donate the items to them.
4. Contact a veteran's hospital and donate the items to them.
5. Contact a Big Brothers/Big Sisters program and see if they would be interested.
6. Contact a foster child program and see if they would be interested in the items.
7. Contact a children's hospital, such as Shriner's Hospital, and see if they would be interested. Possibly the Ronald McDonald House Charities also.
8. Contact a Safe House and see if they would be interested.
9. If you have a local modeling club the stuff could go there.

Just a few ideas.

Randy
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 10:35 AM UTC
Welcome to “Club Med”, and I don’t mean the vacation type! My wife and I have maintained a will for over 20 years now, and I’d tell anyone who doesn’t have one, regardless of age, that they need one. But back to the subject at hand— I’ve been paring my stash down for about the last 15 years, realizing I wouldn’t be here forever, and a stash of over 2K would be a burden on my survivors. So I’m down to about 200 (it’s been creeping up a little lately though, it may be closer to 300) kits that I may actually have time for. But at the rate I build (5-10 a year) I recognize there will still be quite a few left over. Here’s some solutions to that:

1) Since one can never predict our true “expiration date”— don’t worry about it and let your heirs take care of the problem when you’re gone (which you’ve already alluded to).
2) Help out others by giving kits away to aspiring modelers, or help other modelers who are looking for that special kit. I’ve given away several right here on Kitmaker when I see somebody who needs one I have.
3) Find a LHS to buy them now (usually at a greatly reduced value) or give you “trade credit” for them. I’m lucky enough to have two in my area.
4) Before you buy one of the “latest” kits, “dispose” of at least 4-5 of your older kits (see rule #2-3 and above). That’s my basic rule of thumb now.
5) Join a local modeling group if you can, you’ll meet folks to trade, sell, or give away to for sure.
6) Downsize. That is, reduce the scale. It’s a lot faster to build in a smaller scale for the most part, you’re not so tempted by endless aftermarket sets. I’ve been trading a lot of 1/35 and 1/32 kits for 1/72 lately— the less detail, the faster I can build. Display and kit storage space is better too.
6) Specialize. Instead of buying every new kit (or every kit you come across), resist the temptation to buy outside of your interest area. And if you buy a new kit of something, get rid of the old kit. Two old Tamiya jeeps equal one new Takom Jeep in my mind.
7) I “specialize” in kits, and try not to “stray” out of these categories: 1/72 sea and floatplanes; Two types of 1/35 US Sherman tanks (that is, two tank kits); US towed artillery 1917-1945; 1927-1972 open wheel racers and pre-1939 Town Cars; the twelve most famous aircraft of WWII (based on the Riko Watanabe artwork books); 1/700 Essex class carriers; 54mm and 1/16 scale US miniature figures; US Delta Wing A/C in 1/72 scale; Between the wars “yellow wings” aircraft; 1/72 real spacecraft, and 1/32 WWI aircraft. I ignore everything else (well, I do have some exceptions for a few other interesting modeling subjects, but I try to stay within my interests). By keeping within this list, I find I exclude most other items, and my stash stays smaller.
8) Avoid “impulse buys” based on “reviews” or how good a kit looks in a box, or just "good buys" (the old adage--I got such a good deal on this wackhammer, but I don't know if I'll ever use it! applies here). Stick to your interest areas.

Finally, two points to remember: A) It’s a hobby, and the main object is to build stuff, not to “hoard” stuff. Give it away, sell it, trade it if you’re not going to build it; B) If you’re worried about what happens to your stash when you’re gone, downsize (to a manageable level), and don’t worry about what’s left when you vacate your modeling chair for the last time. It’ll probably take care of itself- get the most from your hobby now without worrying about what comes later. It’s not alive so what happens to it really doesn’t matter much. Anything else is really called an “obsession” not a hobby.
Good luck,
VR, Russ

TopSmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 10:42 AM UTC
I will send you my address to lighten your depression.
Serously I have had the same thought. I thought about contacting my local IPMS and have those items donated to them knowing that the donation will not go to waste and my fellow modelers will appreciate and use what I have donated. Maybe stipulate that the newest members have first dibs.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 10:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Serously I have had the same thought. I thought about contacting my local IPMS and have those items donated to them knowing that the donation will not go to waste and my fellow modelers will appreciate and use what I have donated. Maybe stipulate that the newest members have first dibs.

Or, you can attend your local IPMS show now and donate a few kits to the kit drawing during the show— the IPMS folks really appreciate it.
VR, Russ
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 11:07 AM UTC
There's the "Desert Scale Classic" and "Modelzona" which draw huge crowds as far as model shows go. A vendor table at either would be profitable since you live in the area. There's a model swap meet two or three times a year at the Postal Workers Hall. Again, profitable due to the distance. I plan on hitting all three with portions of my stash.

As far as built ups are concerned, after the IPMS Nationals in Las Vegas, all my collection is up for grabs. I'll sell, donate or give away all of it.

G
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 11:15 AM UTC
There are some model stores that will do estate purchases. So if you don’t want to go the donation route you can try selling the kits. You may only get a few cents to the dollar, but it’s better than nothing.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 11:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Or, you can attend your local IPMS show now and donate a few kits to the kit drawing during the show— the IPMS folks really appreciate it.
VR, Russ

Yes they do.

Another option is to send them to Models for Troops, email Jon at [email protected], he sends those kits all over the world to troops and VA’s.
PzDave
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 11:20 AM UTC
If you are in Chandler Az you may have a model club in the Valley. In Tucson we have the Sonoran Desert Model Builders as an example. Maybe your local model club would auction off the materials/kits/paints. We have had this situation in our area where the widows have come in with members materials.From there we have been able to sell them , give some kits to younger members of the club or auction the materials. It keeps it in the "family" so to speak.
PzDave
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 11:38 AM UTC
The "AgentG"-Wayne Grey comment is most correct! The model show at the postal union hall/those vendors are great! they come to Tucson and I have met and bought from him. Good suggestion.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The "AgentG"-Wayne Grey comment is most correct! The model show at the postal union hall/those vendors are great! they come to Tucson and I have met and bought from him. Good suggestion.

As above, find your local clubs & shows.
I help run a hobby club & show, and we allow individuals to book single tables to sell stashes. (often bought up wholesale by the traders or clubs members setting up before the show is open to the public).
Bravo36
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 06:32 AM UTC
Thanks, one and all. Great suggestions.

I’m afraid I didn’t explain well enough. Some of you may have misunderstood. I’m not looking to unload, right now. I’m just looking for some ideas for my son (who isn’t a modeler), for when I’ve passed on, and he’s stuck with my room full of modeling stuff.

I’m still working my way through an innumerable, and still growing, list of projects. Now that I’m retired (and I highly recommend retirement!) I have much more time to work on my favorite hobby. My dioramas have improved tremendously, now that I am able to dedicate myself to practice, reading and watching YouTube videos.

Randy, your ideas are spot on, Thanks.

Russ, I’m afraid downsizing is not an option. I’m having too much fun, and you never know when you’ll need that Kubelwagon to fill a spot on your next dio…

Guys, I do attend occasional IPMS Phoenix meetings and Modelzona, when I can. See you Zonies around…

Sincerely, Ralph (Bravo36)
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 06:43 AM UTC
My wife has orders to donate all my stuff to a local modeling club, models, reference material, building materials, everything. Unless someone in my family shows an interest, which no one has, lol.
AFVNEWS
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hi Ralph;
Boy, did you ever hit the nail on the button. I'm 87 and those very same thoughts go thru my head these days. There is no way my family will be able to or wish to salvage all my stuff.
Its the curse of the serious modeller ...
George Bradford
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 07:31 AM UTC
My wife wanted to go to New York for her birthday and I did not have the funds to send her. I then started selling various kits I would never get to no matter how much time I found on my hands. The result was I sent my wife and daughter to New York from the UK to stay in the Waldorf Astoria all expenses paid and the travel cards that give you access to to all of the tourist attractions. So as you can imagine it was a big lump sum I got. When you go there are expenses that need to be covered and those with large stashes of kits and so on can more than pay for their own departure and leave a lump sum for your unfortunate other.
 _GOTOTOP