_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
T-34/85 - Recommendations for ootb built
Fitzgerald
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 09:41 PM UTC
Hey Folks,
since my visit to the Kubinka Museum in the first week of this new decade I feel the urge to built a T-34. Preferably the late Version with the 85mm gun.
The kit should be highly detailed preferable with some PE Parts included that can be build into a nice model straight out of the box without an interior.
If additional tracks are needed, it's still fine with me.

After some kit diving on scalemates this is my conclusion so far:

Zvezda: entry level kits, with poor details
AFV: Questionable clear plastic hull
Dragon: Old, but gold?
ICM: Potentially better than Dragon, hard to tell from the reviews.
Academy: ?

Looking forward to your thoughts on the kits and recommendations.

Best,
Stephan

marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 10:38 PM UTC
I'd look for either Dragon kit 6066 or 6203.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 - 12:26 AM UTC
The new tool Zvezda 1/35 kit is incredible. (Kit 3687)

It's not the 1993 T-34/85 kit anymore.(3533) That was a simple beginner's kit.

It easily outshines the ICM kit.(ICM plastic also found in a Revell Germany box)
pmontero
Visit this Community
Las Palmas, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 - 12:45 AM UTC
Another vote for the new tool Zvezda kit (3687). Very good and very cheap.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 - 05:47 AM UTC
I liked the AFV Club with the interior,but look for #35145 that one doesn't have that clear hull.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 - 09:30 AM UTC
The new Zvezda kit is the only early to mid-1944 Factory 183 T-34-85 kit available, so if you want to depict an Operation Bagration period vehicle, it's the only one out there. The others depict tanks built during the final six months of the war. Zvezda's kit has plastic mesh for the engine deck screen (best replaced with photoetch) but the grills above the engine and on the sides are molded solid, with very little depth, and really need replacing. The two swiveling vents underneath the screens are molded closed, which isn't wrong, but unusual in summertime, unless the vehicle was under artillery fire. The fuel canisters have chunky detail, and the end caps are concave, as seen on some preserved vehicles, but period photos always show flat end caps. It also includes a large field stove bolted to the upper tail plate. I have only seen this in two photos, so it seems to have been uncommon. I left it off. The gun barrel has a separate end cap, but the joint is messy, so I used a metal barrel.

Dragon, as mentioned, offers a very late T-34-85 from Factory 183. If you get one of the boxings with photoetch and Magic Tracks, it's a very reasonable representation. The top and side grills are also molded solid, but the indentations are deeper.

AFV Club offers a fairly late model Factory 174 tank with its characteristic wide turret.

Academy offers a late or very late Factory 112 version (two turrets in the box). Biggest drawback is the molding of the front plate, which should slightly overlap the side plates. Instead, it's short, with a corner joint filled with weld bead. Also, the weld bead around the cupola is shown as a raised, rectangular-section rim. It needs to be sanded down and textured to look like weld bead. I have not looked at their Factory 183 version.

Italeri's new T-34-85 with interior mixes mid and late production Factory 183 features, and lacks the finesse of the AFV Club kit.

Have not seen any ICM T-34's, but reviews have not been promising.
Dinocamo
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 - 11:20 AM UTC
AFV ones are essentially Dragon/Hobby Boss with interior. So if you don't plan on doing interior, skip AFV. Clear exterior AFV are made solely for the interior show up. Also, AFV track included with these kits are horrible.

In general, about any model released since 2000 with PE is good enough for casual build.
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 - 02:22 PM UTC
Might be worth waiting a few months, as Miniart have announced a new T34/85
Fitzgerald
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2020 - 08:41 AM UTC
Hey Guys,
thanks for all the help.
I took another glimpse at the latest Zvedza Kit as mentioned by Gerald, the Details seem a bit soft and sadly only provides a mesh instead of pe parts.
Following Up on the Dragon Kits 6066 or 6203 suggested by Marc I'm leaning towards 2018 Kit with the Number 6319 as it comes with some nice Pe Parts. The Kit was reintroduced a couple of times over the years though it seems hard to come by in germany.
Otherwise I'll see what Mini Art will offer us. Does anyone have experience with their kits. The Company is quite new to me.

Thanks again for your help, guys!
Best,
Stephan
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2020 - 10:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Guys,
thanks for all the help.
I took another glimpse at the latest Zvedza Kit as mentioned by Gerald, the Details seem a bit soft and sadly only provides a mesh instead of pe parts.
Following Up on the Dragon Kits 6066 or 6203 suggested by Marc I'm leaning towards 2018 Kit with the Number 6319 as it comes with some nice Pe Parts. The Kit was reintroduced a couple of times over the years though it seems hard to come by in germany.
Otherwise I'll see what Mini Art will offer us. Does anyone have experience with their kits. The Company is quite new to me.

Thanks again for your help, guys!
Best,
Stephan

Miniart kits are very nice, indeed. The promised kit is a very early Factory 112 T-34-85 from (apparently) February 1944, with the original D5T gun. The turret design was being tweaked during that period, and several different turret shells were used. This appear to be one of the later ones that didn't overhang the front hull as much.

It's nice to see some T-34 tanks from Miniart, as their self-propelled guns on T-34 chassis are very nice.
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The new Zvezda kit is the only early to mid-1944 Factory 183 T-34-85 kit available, so if you want to depict an Operation Bagration period vehicle, it's the only one out there. The others depict tanks built during the final six months of the war. Zvezda's kit has plastic mesh for the engine deck screen (best replaced with photoetch) but the grills above the engine and on the sides are molded solid, with very little depth, and really need replacing. The two swiveling vents underneath the screens are molded closed, which isn't wrong, but unusual in summertime, unless the vehicle was under artillery fire. The fuel canisters have chunky detail, and the end caps are concave, as seen on some preserved vehicles, but period photos always show flat end caps. It also includes a large field stove bolted to the upper tail plate. I have only seen this in two photos, so it seems to have been uncommon. I left it off. The gun barrel has a separate end cap, but the joint is messy, so I used a metal barrel.

Gerald,

is there an after market kit you used for the mesh and the grills? Or is there a generic mesh you like to work with for this kind of thing?

Thanks,
Phil
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 10:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gerald,

is there an after market kit you used for the mesh and the grills? Or is there a generic mesh you like to work with for this kind of thing?

Thanks,
Phil

DEF Models barrel, Eduard Photoetch set 36397.
The Eduard etch is not well-fitted to the kit parts, and a lot of test fitting and sanding is needed. In retrospect, I wouldn't use Eduard's exterior frame for the rear screens. I'd just thin the plastic kit frame from underneath by gently scraping with a #16 X-Acto blade, and then insert the photoetch screen from below. And Eduard includes nothing for the chunky external fuel tanks, so I've scrounged parts from other kits and got 3-D printed fuel can mounts from Shapeways.
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 11:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gerald,

Thanks,
Phil

DEF Models barrel, Eduard Photoetch set 36397.
The Eduard etch is not well-fitted to the kit parts, and a lot of test fitting and sanding is needed. In retrospect, I wouldn't use Eduard's exterior frame for the rear screens. I'd just thin the plastic kit frame from underneath by gently scraping with a #16 X-Acto blade, and then insert the photoetch screen from below. And Eduard includes nothing for the chunky external fuel tanks, so I've scrounged parts from other kits and got 3-D printed fuel can mounts from Shapeways.

Thanks Gerald,

I have some fuel tanks from this Dragon kit that I'm not too excited about. Perhaps I can press them into service....
 _GOTOTOP