_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Bradley ODS
khurasanminiatures
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 - 03:31 AM UTC
Sometimes it's a bit difficult to figure out what level of vehicle development fits for a particular snapshot of time. I'm going to be making a range of models in 1/100 scale (so-called "15mm") for ODS to remember the 30th anniversary of that conflict, the models intended to be used by miniature wargamers, focusing on the clashes between the US Army and the RGC, and of course need to make a Bradley.

At what level of development was the vehicle at that time, particularly the side skirts? That's the real puzzler for me. Were they at this level, or the smaller, more rounded skirts?

seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 - 03:45 AM UTC
Something to take note of is that , if I understand it correctly, the ODS version was not fielded in Desert Storm but was developed as a result of lessons learned during the war.

Sean
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 - 03:57 AM UTC
Yes, what you have pictured is correct for an Operation Desert Storm (ODS: '90-'91) M2A2 Bradley.

M2A2 Operation Desert Storm

On a historical note, initially, straight M2s were deployed by most units. They were swapped out for M2A2s before the ground war started in Feb '91. At one time, I had a pic that showed the M2s backed up to the M2A2s as the crews swapped out their gear between the two vehicles. Of course, I can't find it now.

Original M2 in Saudi

Aditionally, if you see a kit listed as an M2A2 ODS, it is is post Operation Desert Storm version that has improvements from lessons learned in ODS, not a vehicle that took part in ODS.
khurasanminiatures
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 - 04:03 AM UTC
Thanks very much, just so I'm clear, the M2 that actually saw combat was the one illustrated in my OP, with the higher and flatter side skirts?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 - 04:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks very much, just so I'm clear, the M2 that actually saw combat was the one illustrated in my OP, with the higher and flatter side skirts?

Yes.
khurasanminiatures
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 - 04:28 AM UTC
Fantastic, thank you. Sean, yes understood about the ODS version of the Bradley. I was using the acronym to refer to the conflict rather than the Bradley's upgrade after the war.
 _GOTOTOP