_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Can someone tell me what this is?
disorderly
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 114 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2020 - 07:47 AM UTC
I'm referring to the rectangular wire frame that can be seen on the turret of the Tamiya M48A3 Patton.
I've circled it in red on the photo below.

Many thanks.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2020 - 07:50 AM UTC
It's a guard to prevent rounds from the commander's MG from hitting the searchlight.
disorderly
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2020 - 08:04 AM UTC
Brilliant. Thank you very much 18 Bravo

Paddy.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2020 - 09:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a guard to prevent rounds from the commander's MG from hitting the searchlight.

And the barrel too.
VR, Russ
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2020 - 09:35 AM UTC
My 6 year old granddaughter saw me reading this thread and asked what it was about. After telling her that someone asked about the thing in the red circle,, she promptly declared it was a bug-zapper.
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2020 - 10:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My 6 year old granddaughter saw me reading this thread and asked what it was about. After telling her that someone asked about the thing in the red circle,, she promptly declared it was a bug-zapper.

It most certainly does look like one
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2020 - 10:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's awesome. She may be on to something there. I would imagine that all of those military folks would like to have a bug-zapper present on their armor, vehicles, etc. to eliminate those pests. Maybe she can patent her idea and become very well to do.

Thank you for sharing the story.

Randy
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2020 - 02:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Precious! You got yourself a future inventor!

However, I believe it to be: pericardium curve of the trilaterally based endographic deflationism theory, this means that the device in question is only effective 45% of the time and is reliant on the gunners' deracination of the Gicci bar muffler bearing juxtaposition when firing the .50 cal fambibulator: which would cause lummoxing of the inner reactors' secondary bearing, eventually causing an entire outer modular case failure after.

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2020 - 02:31 AM UTC
The item is known as an "interrupter bar" as pointed out it precludes you from shooting up the searchlight when firing the .50 cal
disorderly
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Saturday, February 29, 2020 - 06:27 AM UTC
Thanks for the info, guys.
And thanks to OBG153s granddaughter for the best explanation

Regards,

Paddy
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 29, 2020 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is that to keep bugs from getting stuck between the tank commander's teeth, when he peeps out while on the move??

Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 04:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Precious! You got yourself a future inventor!

However, I believe it to be: pericardium curve of the trilaterally based endographic deflationism theory, this means that the device in question is only effective 45% of the time and is reliant on the gunners' deracination of the Gicci bar muffler bearing juxtaposition when firing the .50 cal fambibulator: which would cause lummoxing of the inner reactors' secondary bearing, eventually causing an entire outer modular case failure after.

Did you know that attempted humor is against the law in most states? Too many broken 'funny bones'...
 _GOTOTOP