_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Looking for photos of the H230 Maybach engine
mdland58
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 29, 2020 - 06:58 AM UTC
Greetings and good afternoon. As the title says, I am seeking photos of the Maybach HL230 engine in its broken down form, specifically the raw engine block from the bottom, and preferably with the crankshaft mains removed. I have a bit of info about the crank itself, the camshaft, but I need photos of the lower half and actually, just all the components separately. I looked at Mr. Hughes photos of Littlefield's rebuild, but it didn't show the bottom. I would also like some photos of the mains themselves. I tried to contact Mr. Hughes himself, but got no reply. I am interested in making a copy of the engine components, but need more photos of each of the components of the disassembled engine. I know VLS made a resin engine some years ago, but I want to create a more detailed disassembly, plus build one in 1/16 scale. I have lots of photos of assembled engines, and Spielberger's good illustrated drawings, but some photos, especially the bottom end of the block(in it's raw block form) and the mains themselves, are eluding me. Anybody out there with some good photos of the disassembled components of the 230 engine?
I had hoped that Littlefield's crew would have taken lots of photos of their 230 during it's rebuild, but if they did, I have not found any photos. Does anybody know the gents who worked on Littlefield's Panther? Maybe they have some photos, too?
Regards,
Mark Pinson
[email protected]
afvaficionado
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 29, 2020 - 07:55 AM UTC
Hi Mark
Not sure if you're aware but Ivano Constatini makes 1/6th scale engines for Tiger 1 - P30 245 - http://www.armortek.co.uk/Forum3b/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5884&sid=26790b545bf581b44a6153f3c03365f7 -

His latest is a Tiger II engine that's a work in progress - http://www.armortek.co.uk/Forum3b/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7965&sid=26790b545bf581b44a6153f3c03365f7 -

Hopefully they'll be of use?

Mal
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 29, 2020 - 02:33 PM UTC
Don't know if this helps, but The Tank Museum Youtube video HERE has a 'spare' HL230 they are starting to build at the 8.20 mark plus video of the engine that's been removed from their JagdPanther.
 _GOTOTOP