_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Merkava 4M Training Hardware Cables
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 - 03:24 AM UTC
Hi All,

I am working on detailing my 1/35 Meng Merkava 4M with Trophy tank model. I am modeling a specific tank from Michael Mass' Desert Eagle book, and this tank has a lot of what I am assuming is electronic training/war game hardware, again, which I assume is used for training purposes. One of those items is a 'post' mounted on the right rear portion of the turret, with an amber rotating beacon ("Mars' light) inside a cage (assuming the cage is for protecting the beacon's shell from damage), and this post has a number of wires coming into (or going out of) it, from what appears to be canvas 'strips' which run along th perimeter of the turret. In addition to these 'strips', you can see, in one photo, an insulated cable that is running from the top of the post onto the top of the turret, but that's as far as you can see in the photo, and there are no pictures of the top of the turret. Would anyone know where that insulated cable is running to? I assume it's heading for some spot where it can either run into the turret through an opening, or is attached at some connection point for the signals from that wire/cable to enter the turret. Does anyone have a clue what i'm talking about? If not, I'll get permission from Michael Mass to post a photo so I can show you what I'm referring to.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any thoughts or definite answers.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 - 03:31 AM UTC
It sounds like a similar set-up to how the US Army runs wires for MILES (Multiple Integrated Laser Engagement System) gear. Usually, a cable goes through the empty periscope port on the loader's hatch. From here it goes to a control box inside the turret which controls the system and attaches to the vehicle intercom system to give audible engagement notifications when the vehicle is hit or receives a near miss, etc. The amber light is called a CVKI (Combat Vehicle Kill Indicator). When the vehicle is "hit" it blinks continuosly to show the vehicle is "dead" and no longer in the fight. It will continue to blink until reset by an OC (Observer/Controller) who acts like a referee or umpire to control the exercise.
GuyGos
Visit this Community
Netanya, Israel
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 - 04:00 AM UTC
Can you post the picture so it'll be easier to help you?
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can you post the picture so it'll be easier to help you?

I'll try to get Michael Mass' permission to post one of the images from his book... I've sent a request to Michael, and hopefully he will give me a go-ahead to post the photo.

By the way, to Gino... I never even read the caption on the photo I want to post, and you are exactly correct, the 'tower' I'm referring to is described as a MILES Beacon!
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 01:09 PM UTC
It's been a very long time, but since I'd promised, all those months ago, that I'd post some pictures of the placard/insignia that I scratch built, once I had it actually on my tank model, and I never did, I thought it was time. So, for anyone interested, here's a few pictures from quite a long time ago, now. Thanks for looking.

_GOTOTOP