_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Sherman foundry casting markings
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 372 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 12:27 AM UTC
Hi.

I have a few unbuilt Asuka/Tasca Sherman kits in the stash and I've just read the review of the new Rye Field Sherman firefly...it seems to have far more foundry casting markings than any of my Asuka Shermans.

This is a bit disconcerting as I really love the tiny details and if the Asuka kits are missing these details that is a real disappointment.

There are a few sites that explain Sherman foundry casting markings in a general sense but none has a comprehensive guide to all the places these are found on a Sherman. Can anyone please tell me if there is any source with a comprehensive list of all the places these markings should appear on a sherman so that I can see exactly how deficient my Asuka kits are?

Thanks!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 01:21 AM UTC
Did you see this ?

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/data/Sherman_Foundry_Symbols_and_Trademarks.pdf

H.P.
cacciacarri
Visit this Community
Rimini, Italy
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 88 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 01:27 AM UTC
Hi Mike, I don't know if you already know it:

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/data/Sherman_Foundry_Symbols_and_Trademarks.pdf
Best
Antonio
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 02:44 AM UTC
And if you can find a copy. "Son Of Sherman 2" a book about all of the variations of locations, depending on the foundry.
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And if you can find a copy. "Son Of Sherman 2" a book about all of the variations of locations, depending on the foundry.

Afaik this never materialize, please prove me wrong as I want a copy.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 05:39 AM UTC
If you want to add any missing foundry marks, there are these by Archer:
http://www.archertransfers.com/AR88007.html
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 06:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Just a mistake by Carl. It's a follow-up to 1999's Modelers Guide to the Sherman, so the second Sherman volume from Ampersand, but the title is Son of Sherman Volume 1.

KL
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 08:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Just a mistake by Carl. It's a follow-up to 1999's Modelers Guide to the Sherman, so the second Sherman volume from Ampersand, but the title is Son of Sherman Volume 1.

KL

Ah i see... Yeah it has a great collection of foundry symbols. Btw great book Kurt, I'm a late audience and I'm appreciating all the research that went into it.
dhines
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 407 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 10:28 AM UTC
I have looked for years to get the 1ST Sherman book by Ampersand. I have most of their others and an almost complete MMIR collection. If you can find it someone wants to mortgage it to you. The Archer set Biggles mentioned looks like the Cats Meow.
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 10:57 AM UTC
Thanks everyone, those references are helpful.

Does anyone know why Asuka's otherwise very detailed kits are missing so many foundry markings?
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 11:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks everyone, those references are helpful.

Does anyone know why Asuka's otherwise very detailed kits are missing so many foundry markings?

At the time it came out the subject was not well understood. For a long time people apparently thought they were just random gibberish. It took a lot of work to sort out what went where and what it meant, and to understand what was possible and what was just BS. I don't know, but my hope is that they figured it was better to leave it blank if they didn't know rather than making something up.

Omitting foundry marks is not a negative for me. Given that every tank had its own unique combination of characters when you consider all the cast pieces, the best they could do was replicate a single tank. I'm pretty confident that anyone who worries about the presence or absence of marks likewise wants their model to be different from everyone else's, so they would invariably change things big or small from the stock kit. Again, in this case, it's better to add things to a clean slate then have to deal with removing or matching molded-in detail.

Finally, there is the practical element. On a turret shell, for example, marks on the side prevent mold release unless you have a removable mold section (and seams, and flash . . .) around each mark. The alternative is a multi-pece turret shell so that the part can be pulled directly out of the numbered side.

KL
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 10:34 AM UTC
Thanks Kurt. That makes a lot of sense. I appreciate your time in answering.

In this regard, I guess the new Rye Field Firefly Vc is now the most detailed and accurate Firefly Vc kit?
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 11:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In this regard, I guess the new Rye Field Firefly Vc is now the most detailed and accurate Firefly Vc kit?

Beats me, I haven't even looked at it online.

KL
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 11:56 AM UTC
I haven't seen the firefly, but the RFM M4A3E8 that came out last year was a real stunner, so I have good reason to hope.

On the subject of casting marks, you may not need to add much to the Asuka kit depending on how much stowage is obscuring the tank - you can easily get away with only some marks on the turret roof and maybe the nose because kit bags, ammo, tarps etc on turret and hull (and mud on the running gear) hide most of the missing markings.
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 12:48 PM UTC
There are casting symbols all over a Sherman’s- not just those areas that you mention.
D
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 04:09 PM UTC
The rfm kit is superior according to a FB Sherman group I'm in.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 04:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, but you can still find 9just) things to improve. Having studied both the Asuka and RFM kits I am almost 100% certain RFM started with the Asuka kit and added all the missing missing detail and made a few little changes along the way. I think some of these changes make a poorer (still very good) kit to the Asuka one which has precise fit. It is a very good kit and just the best available Vc Firefly avail.
 _GOTOTOP