_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
SA-4 missile colors?
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 - 05:50 AM UTC
Hi all
I'm close to start painting the SA-4 Ganef from Trumpeter. For the missiles the instructions call for a Medium Gunship Grey which obviously is far too dark.
Airfix Model World features an article with Aluminum and Silver missiles and AFV Modeller features another article with no paint reference but with a grey color for the missiles.

My understanding is that the missile body was painted some light grey shade with some panels aluminum or silver.
Which grey reference would be suitable? I mainly use Tamiya paint and only acrylic paints.
I haven't been able to determine the right color from reference pictures hence this post.

TIA
Olivier
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 - 08:23 AM UTC
https://data3.primeportal.net/artillery/vojta_micek/2k11_krug_sa-4_ganef/images/2k11_krug_sa-4_ganef_23_of_25.jpg

Looks like oxidised, or maybe anodised to natural oxide colour, aluminium to me.
It could be some sort of heat resistant paint with an "oxidised aluminium" colour.
Use some very fine grained metalizer paint?
/ Robin
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 - 09:21 PM UTC
That's the issue Robin. Some pictures show a kind of aluminum color while others show a light grey depending on the light conditions when the pictures were taken.

Olivier
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 - 09:55 PM UTC
The majority of the images I found showed the aluminium colour.

This one is interesting since it looks as if the boosters have rusted -> metallic gray sheen comes from some kind of "metallic" paint

This one looks like paint and I would call this a very light metallic grey. To get close to this I would go for some of the "natural" metal paints, maybe some variant of "aluminium" by Alclad.

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/67-alclad-ii-metallic-paints

A "metallic" paint can look like an ordinary dull paint in some lighting conditions but an ordinary plain paint can not look like metallic in ANY lighting conditions.
/ Robin

KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 - 02:35 AM UTC
Are those war reserve missiles or trainers? Didn't the Soviets use silver to indicate trainers or dummies?

KL
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 - 02:53 AM UTC
Thanks for the link Robin. I'll probably try some metallic grey paint. Tamiya one is too dark for sure. Any idea on how to enlighten it without "deleting" the metallic sheen?

Olivier
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the link Robin. I'll probably try some metallic grey paint. Tamiya one is too dark for sure. Any idea on how to enlighten it without "deleting" the metallic sheen?

Olivier

Nope: Very little experience of painting large surfaces with metallic sheen. Doesn't happen so often with tanks and trucks .....
Maybe ask in the Aircraft forums?
/ Robin
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2020 - 03:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are those war reserve missiles or trainers? Didn't the Soviets use silver to indicate trainers or dummies?

KL

Haven't got the faintest idea ...
I asked google about SA-4 Ganef images and I didn't see any non-metallic ones but that doesn't count as evidence for anything ....

Edit:
Googled for 2K11 krug instead and found this:

Hard to tell the colour but it does look light, i.e. not Russian green or anything like that.
Could still be a dummy warhead on a flight capable missile ...

This video contains parts that look like a live fire exercise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc1H_ZxaxLc
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 04:30 AM UTC
I got he missiles painted and I'm quite satisfied with the result. The metallic grey does not shine at a distance but has the nice sheen at close distance.

Olivier
 _GOTOTOP