_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Requesting help : MENG latest Magach 6B Gal
Luftan
Visit this Community
Aichi-ken, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2020 - 01:24 AM UTC
Hello guys.
I am currently building Magach 6B Gal from MENG, and so far it has been a fantastic kit. I am at the stage where I finished assembling bulk of the tank, and proceeding to detailing bits and pieces.
I have few questions to ask since I am an absolute noob at IDF stuff. I purchased Desert Eagle`s book on the subject, but could find the following info.

On magach 6B Gal, there is a 50cal mounted ontop of the main gun barrel. I believe these were remote controlled using 2 wires, but I dont know where those wires go. Is there a special hole near commander`s cupola to slip such wires?
Same goes with the searchlight mounted next to the FN MAG for the commander`s use. There is a light cord coming out of the grip of the light, but where do those wires go?

Thank you in advance. And if anybody else has already built this kit, would love to hear what kind of detailing up you did/is necessary.

GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2020 - 01:50 AM UTC
The cable and the wires go into the commander's cupola.

Luftan
Visit this Community
Aichi-ken, Japan / 日本
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2020 - 02:17 AM UTC
Thank you for a quick answer. So the cables just go directly through the hatch? I thought there would be a notch or a hole to allow a cable through.
Anyways, that would be easy enough to replicate on the model
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2020 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On magach 6B Gal, there is a 50cal mounted ontop of the main gun barrel. I believe these were remote controlled using 2 wires, but I dont know where those wires go. Is there a special hole near commander`s cupola to slip such wires?

No. The ropes are connected to a simple mechanism which operates the charging handle and the trigger of the 0.50 cal. Usually the loader keeps the ends somewhere next to him. True for the Mk.2B, but I guess something similar was done on the Magach. Since the Magach 6 Bet 'Gal' was phased out from regular service in 2005, I doubt it ever get the solenoid operated system used today.

In the photo of a Merkava Mk.2B below, the two ropes on the left leading forward are the ones we're talking about. One of them seems to be wrapped around the latch, the other one just thrown into the opening. Other crews might have different setups.

When the 0.50 cal is not in use, the ropes might be wrapped around the mechanism as seen on this Merkava Mk.2D in the photo below, or removed altogether.

Quoted Text

Same goes with the searchlight mounted next to the FN MAG for the commander`s use. There is a light cord coming out of the grip of the light, but where do those wires go?

On the Merkava Mk.2 we had a 24V outlet forward the hatches. Could be the something similar on the Magach.
wildbill426
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 375 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2020 - 02:40 AM UTC
Thanks for this post; mine is painted and is getting decaled; I agree this is a wonderful kit, and if they do a US version I think they'll sell a zillion of them. My Dragon M60 is in the realm of 'never to be built' at this point. I'll even go out on a limb and say this is one of the four or five best tank kits I've ever built.
Luftan
Visit this Community
Aichi-ken, Japan / 日本
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2020 - 03:15 AM UTC
Thank you for the clarification!
I didnt think the mechanism was so simple. I thought the wires were connected to some electrical trigger. Turns out, its just pulling the wire it self.
I also saw a photo of the wires being wrapped around the end of 50cal in the DE book. That explains why.

@Bill
Please do share your work here. I would love to see what others have done with the kit.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2020 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I didnt think the mechanism was so simple. I thought the wires were connected to some electrical trigger. Turns out, its just pulling the wire it self.

Indeed. It was a crude but sufficient setup as the 0.50 cal was used on certain occasions only. These days however, they're fixed permanently and have a more complex, solenoid operated mechanism which can be triggered from inside the vehicle as seen here:

_GOTOTOP