_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
4th ID, OIF I 2003 - 04
Apache26
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 09:32 AM UTC
Hello, I've been lurking on this site for a few years now. I've been an on and off again modeler since I was a kid. A few years ago I picked it up again after putting down my brushes for many years. Given the quality of the work on here, I debated when and what model I should use to make my first post.

I almost exclusively model the Vietnam War. Nonetheless, this is a subject with which I am intimately familiar. I served as an Army infantryman in OIF I with 4th ID, OIF II and OIF 06-08 with 1st 'CAV. I started this figure a couple years ago as a project to honor a close friend of mine from high school. He likewise served in 4th for four OIF tours. His first tour was in OIF I, albeit in a different battalion. This figure is not a copy of him. Due to the hodgepodge of gear we wore in OIF I, I didn't want to spend a small fortune sourcing random bits of 120mm field gear (namely LC-2 ALICE pouches and an M-203) to make it a copy of him. This was especially problematic as Verlinden was really the only company who made 120mm ALICE gear and they closed their doors around the time I started this. You will notice that this guy is basically the Verlinden 120mm 101st Airborne OIF/OEF grunt.

A note on accuracy: Please forgive the lack of a reverse field flag patch. I believe that there were 120mm OIF/OEF desert decals made, but I couldn't source them. Likewise, you'll notice that the M-16 receiver is the typical slab side lower that Verlinden uses on all their M-16's. I don't believe that Live Resin had a modern receiver set in 120mm when I started this. My friend doesn't mind the discrepancy. It was important for me, however, to use an M-16A3 instead of an M-4. M-4's in those days were scarce in mechanized units. My friend didn't have access to one until he became an NCO in a sniper section. I carried an M-16A3 during all of my tours. The M-16A3 was the MTOE mechanized rifleman's weapon during those years. Lastly, to some of you, the boots may look a little dark. I based them off of the early Desert Storm boots that were a Coyote/FDE color before such a color was cool. They had chocolate brown soles and were a copy of the first model black jungle boots (just without the vents). I personally favored these boots because they didn't have the padded collar at the top and the soles were more durable. They were commonly issued in those early days as old desert gear stocks were still being issued.

The 4th ID entered OIF I with a variety of individual equipment. Not everyone got an IBA vest. Plates were in short supply and high demand. Some guys deployed with PASGT Kevlar vests. RFI MOLLE gear was unevenly issued. In my battalion, almost everyone wore LC-2 ALICE gear; either attached to their IBA vests or on heavily modified web harnesses. Those who had MOLLE gear purchased it privately, usually from Blackhawk. Some battalions in 4th ID received a partial RFI MOLLE issue. This guy clearly was one of them, but he retains his tried and true canteens. That was common too.

Your questions and comments are welcome!

Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 10:34 AM UTC
Welcome back. Very nice job on the figure. I also enjoyed the background story and the info on the gear.
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 11:45 AM UTC
Very nice figure !
Apache26
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2020 - 02:32 AM UTC
Thank you very much!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2020 - 03:36 AM UTC
High end figure painting there. I especially like the way you even have the creases on top of the boot in front of the laces.
Apache26
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 07:30 AM UTC
Thank you very much!
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 08:35 AM UTC
Hey, Travis!

Not your usual subject matter, but a subject you are intimately familiar with. The figure looks good. You did a really good job with the boots and the fading, dusty look of the DCUs.

Thanks for including the reference info that will be helpful for other modelers who may model figures from this time period and unit who do not have the first person experience and knowledge of what was issued and used.

On a different note, I think I saw a photo of you with some Vietnam reenactors a couple weeks or months ago.

Take care and stay safe, Brother!
James
Apache26
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 06:34 AM UTC
Hi James! I've been meaning to get in touch. I hope you and your family are doing well. Thanks for the positive comments.

Yes, you probably did see me with some reenactors. I was involved with a unit up in Oregon from 2002 - 2014.
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 12:25 AM UTC
Four Lieutenants pointing North

Great job, right down to the plastic window on top of the M17 mask carrier.
 _GOTOTOP