_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
M3 Stuart - 1st serious attempt at shading
MrchntMarine
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2020 - 08:32 AM UTC
So this is my 1st real attempt at some sort of spray shading, if you will. Or at least trying to make the paint job look a little more interesting than just a single coat or 2. I have no idea what I’m doing - but - I primed in grey then did some outlines in a thinned black then some xf- 62 then mixed dark yellow xf-60 with olive drab xf-62 to finish before PFC gloss. I’m not so good at pics, but here are a couple. Thoughts and comments please. On a phone sorry for the brevity. Tks much!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MX4KkULh6cZHX9iw5
MrchntMarine
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2020 - 08:47 AM UTC
so I started a few questions re: this build re: painting in the Finishing and Weathering Sequence, but it seemed that that thread was long - so im hoping I put this in the right spot.... If you can't see my pics pls reply and ill try to fix it - 1st time trying.... Tks!! Tks SSGToms
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 04:49 AM UTC
Nice looking modulation you got there Joe. You did a great job. Keep up the excellent work, and you're very welcome. Anytime buddy.
MrchntMarine
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice looking modulation you got there Joe. You did a great job. Keep up the excellent work, and you're very welcome. Anytime buddy.

tks much! Still working on it but appreciate the feedback and good to know the post worked. tips appreciated form all. wasn't sure about the google posting and I had a hard time figuring out how to post on the kit site.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 09:59 AM UTC
Hi Joe,

I think you have done a good job breaking up the monochrome finish. I look forward to your weathering.

And I think your photos look good, too. They are clear, focused, the subject generally fills the image, and a minimum of background clutter. Well done.
iwatajim
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 11:53 PM UTC
Looking good. Remember the weathering stages will darken the finish somewhat, so you can usually go lighter than you think initially. Also I always have an old model, or some sort of object, that I paint and carry out the processes on just before committing to the actual model, that can save a whole lot of heartache! Although sometimes the practice piece ends up looking nicer than the model!
MrchntMarine
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good. Remember the weathering stages will darken the finish somewhat, so you can usually go lighter than you think initially. Also I always have an old model, or some sort of object, that I paint and carry out the processes on just before committing to the actual model, that can save a whole lot of heartache! Although sometimes the practice piece ends up looking nicer than the model!

Good point. There are a lot of moving parts here.... I do remember 1 kit I did, a simca car I think, how much I thought the finish changed when I finally flat coated it. Lots to remember.
MrchntMarine
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 04:54 AM UTC
well, 1/2 step forward then 10 backwards! So after glossing I waited 2 days then went back and noticed 2 long spots I missed - underneath side above the bogies. Granted, you would not be able to see this area unless one was to turn the model upside down and look above the bogies... Anyhow I decided to tape it off w/ blue tape - just trying to catch the edge a little - enough just to make the tape stick - and hit the area w/ some olive drab. All went good until I lifted the tape AND the decals. Oh brother..... Time to just move on and maybe weather a little heavier to disguise the mess. Dunno. Anyhow, live and learn. Oh, also had to fight a future drip line on the rear. Tried to remove that, after I noticed it and it had dried, by lightly rubbing with a qtip and a little windex. No luck as it started to take off some paint. Then tried the other side of the drip by brushing the area with more future to "reactivate" the drip in order to wipe it off. No luck - was afraid to really mess it up more.... Agh!!

SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 05:20 AM UTC
Joe,
First, you can take care of the Future drip with some 6000 grit sandpaper. That's the easiest way to get rid of a gloss coat imperfection. Then reshoot the area with a light coat of Future. Second, you should shoot the model with coats of Future until the edges of the decal disappear - that way they appear painted on and you know the decals are protected under a solid barrier of Future.
MrchntMarine
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 02:40 PM UTC
so, all done for now. I put some flory wash then flat clear coated. The few times I done this before, it seems that the flory wash gets, uh, washed off - out. Maybe I need to do it over the clear coat? Anyhow, this is where ii am now, id like to do a little more but the idea originally was to just keep it a little dusty. Have to say, to me, it looks just like some dirty water was brushed on... Thoughts, tips, suggestions on anymore if I want to follow up is much appreciated. Tks!

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 08:53 PM UTC
Great job! I like paint modulation and try to do it in one way or another on every build.
 _GOTOTOP