Hosted by Darren Baker
Vietnam era M113 question
frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
KitMaker: 179 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2020 - 10:09 AM UTC
Hi to all! Just a simple question. As far as I know, the interior for an M113 in vietnam should be white. Waht about the floor? Shoul it also me white? should it be in aluminium or as the Tamiya instructions call should be of a light green colour? Manu thanks in adevance. Cheers and Happy Esater!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2020 - 10:32 AM UTC
M113's that were white probably had white floors. The Army dislikes unpainted surfaces. M113A1's with green interiors had green floors. I can remember when each of us had our turn to drive one at the Harmony Church School for Wayward Boys at Fort Benning that the floor was light green. Even then, with far more pressing matters to think about, I recall thinking I'll have to remember this for when I model one. (the worn paint on the tread plate is what caught my eye)
Either way the ramp floor is OD or forest green.
frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2020 - 10:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

M113's that were white probably had white floors. The Army dislikes unpainted surfaces. M113A1's with green interiors had green floors. I can remember when each of us had our turn to drive one at the Harmony Church School for Wayward Boys at Fort Benning that the floor was light green. Even then, with far more pressing matters to think about, I recall thinking I'll have to remember this for when I model one. (the worn paint on the tread plate is what caught my eye)
Either way the ramp floor is OD or forest green.

Many, many thanks!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2020 - 10:59 AM UTC
Every M113 variant (M113A2, M113A3, M981A3, M577A2/A3/M1068A3, etc..) I have been in had bare aluminum floor plates that were not painted. The ramp and hatch interiors were usually painted either dark green or whatever the exterior color was. Also, only the very early gas-engined M113s had white interiors. The M113A1 upgrade (fielded in '64) included a diesel engine and a repaint of the interior to seafoam green.

frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2020 - 11:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Every M113 variant (M113A2, M113A3, M981A3, M577A2/A3/M1068A3, etc..) I have been in had bare aluminum floor plates that were not painted. The ramp and hatch interiors were usually painted either dark green or whatever the exterior color was. Also, only the very early gas-engined M113s had white interiors. The M113A1 upgrade (fielded in '64) included a diesel engine and a repaint of the interior to seafoam green.

Hope I still have sea foam green!!!!Many thanks!
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2020 - 03:54 PM UTC
Hi;

I have Rode in So many M-113 while in Country it Gives Me A Pain in my Ass !!!! And all were painted Seafoam Green !! Even the Aussie's were Green, I have never seen any other color !

CHEERS; MIKE.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2020 - 05:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi to all! Just a simple question. As far as I know, the interior for an M113 in vietnam should be white. Waht about the floor? Shoul it also me white? should it be in aluminium or as the Tamiya instructions call should be of a light green colour? Manu thanks in adevance. Cheers and Happy Esater!

they started out with a very thick coating of gloss white, but sometime later switched to sea foam green. I've seen white floors, O.D. green floors and probably sea foam green floors. Add mud in there too! There'll be a lot of bare aluminum showing thru. Most all floors were covered with ammo cans anyway.
gary
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2020 - 07:01 PM UTC
All I ever saw was sea-foam green in the 25-30 M113A1s I rode in in the 11th ACR, several of which were Vietnam “veterans” . I’d also been in several 7th and 9th ID M113s in 73-75. As a Platoon leader, I spent a good part of my time living in my 3rd Plt. Fox Troop 11th ACR M113A1 “command track”. The floors were bare aluminum, as mentioned above, with a diamond pattern tread plate (those thin elongated designs in alternating direction). The tread plate had a tendency to weather out to a dull metallic gray, with some shine on the raised treads, especially when dragging a A/NPPS-5 radar set box over them, or other heavy materials like ammo cans. The commander’s step was OD green on my track, with a non-skid anti-slip coating that was stuck on in an adhesive sheet. The interior of the troop ramp was also OD green, also with a non-skid surface. The insides of the hatches were OD. The M106 Mortar Track interior was OD green in the rear, sea foam green forward of the mortar hatch. I never saw a white interior, but I do understand the very early M113s did come with a white semi-gloss interior.
VR, Russ
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2020 - 09:58 PM UTC
if you're modelling a Vietnam war era m113 then a lot of the floors were covered in sandbags for additional protection against mines, although this didn't stop troops from riding high.
 _GOTOTOP