_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Academy Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer 1/35
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 12:11 AM UTC
Hey folks! Hope you're all safe and sound despite the circumstances. Here's another one of my quarantine builds. Academy's Jagdpanzer 38(t) Early Version 1/35. Tried to pay attention to advice I got before with making the chipping more noticeable. Also tried to make the streaking and fading a bit more pronounced vs my work on the Tamiya Jagdpanther. I brushed steel pigments on the tracks but it doesn't show well on the camera. Might need more light.

Would again highly appreciate any constructive feedback. Thanks folks and stay healthy!

PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 01:09 AM UTC
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 01:38 AM UTC
The parts of the track that rub againts the wheels or the ground very quickly get a polished metal sheen to them.

Preserved example driving over muddy ground

From WW II ?

Note also the polished rings on the wheels

More images of this museum Hetzer here:
http://www.fahrzeuge-der-wehrmacht.de/Artikel/Jagdpz_38.html

The outside of the guide teeth rub against the inside of the sprocket to get polished and scraped clean all the time. The inside of the guide teeth rub against the ouside of the road wheels and get polished at the same time as the teeth polish the metal edge on the wheels, at the inner diameter of the rubber tire.

In your case with all the mud I coulld suggest to make the shiny surfaces very shiny (silver) and then at the very end of the weathering process dull them down slightly with a mud-coloured tint, to give a slight impression of muddy water on those polished surfaces
/ Robin
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 01:55 AM UTC
that's an excellent build and looks very realistic, the weathering looks fantastic, well done indeed.
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 02:07 AM UTC
Thanks for the feedback folks

Quoted Text

The parts of the track that rub againts the wheels or the ground very quickly get a polished metal sheen to them.

/ Robin

Thanks for pointing that out Robin. Lovely reference photos too. I've been rubbing Vallejo Dark Steel Pigments on the tracks of my AFVs but I don't seem to get enough sheen on them when I add subsequent layers of weathering. I'm thinking of resorting to a dry brush of a metallic silver acrylic to make it more pronounced in the photos.
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 02:21 AM UTC
Excellent work!!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 03:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for pointing that out Robin. Lovely reference photos too. I've been rubbing Vallejo Dark Steel Pigments on the tracks of my AFVs but I don't seem to get enough sheen on them when I add subsequent layers of weathering. I'm thinking of resorting to a dry brush of a metallic silver acrylic to make it more pronounced in the photos.

Nigel,
You might want to try AK True Metal. It's a paste that comes in a tube. You apply it and then you can buff it to what ever sheen you want, from a dull luster to a bright shine. I'd recommend the Steel. I have Steel and Iron and they're very effective.
 _GOTOTOP