_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Painting rust tones with tamiya paint
Jean-Luc
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 09:46 AM UTC
Hi all.

I’m back to the hobby and would try to paint rusty armor.
I’m used to paint with tamiya xf paint and i would know which colors to use and mix to have a range of rusty colors. I’ve seen many other company having comprehensive sets but i would prefer to stick to tamiya because they are easiest for my skills,
Thanks for your advices.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 09:27 PM UTC
Hi Jean Luc, welcome back!

While we wait for a more competent advice (I haven't used Tamiya paints for several years), I would suggest a reddish brown as base, then brown, orange and even yellow heavily thinned in random areas and then finish the work with oils and pigments.

If you already have a reference of what you want to do, it should not be hard to figure out which base colours are needed.
Jean-Luc
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2020 - 08:04 AM UTC
Thanks your advice is good. After checking some reference pictures they match the colors you choose. I have hull red, flat earth in stash, and also copper for orange tone. I will buy yellow for fresh rust!
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 02:30 PM UTC
Welcome back! Rather than copper, I would get Tamiya flat orange. I've used Tamiya for rust colors before I got my now go-to Lifecolor set, Rust and Dust, that I use exclusively for rust tones, now. I would also invest in the Tamiya flat brown. With Hull Red, Flat Earth and these 2 colors, you should be able to create pretty realistic rust! If you really want the full range, then yes, Tamiya flat yellow wouldn't be a bad option in addition to these.

My only advice would be that Tamiya is not great paint to brush paint. Just about anything would be better, Lifecolor being fantastic, even Vallejo Model Color or Model Air would be better choices, but if you have limited funds, go with the colors I suggested. I think you'll be happy.
Jean-Luc
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 07:50 PM UTC
Thank you Curt. Ok for the flat orange and flat brown, better choice. I first airbrush them in large zone and for the weathering i have old prince august with sponge application. It’s just i have difficulties to airbrush with water based acrylics so i prefer stay with tamiya! Have to improve it.
 _GOTOTOP