_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Need a recommendation
johnstone
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2020 - 12:09 PM UTC
Ok, so I finally get done with the Border Models PanzerIV G (and no thanks to their instructions I assure you). Now for the decals. There are not enough in the kit! Turret Numbers "205" should be 3 sets. Kit only has 2. Ditto on the smaller German crosses.
I've been looking on the internet. The more I look the more confused I get.
Could someone recommend a set (or sets) which would most replace the kit decals. The kit is painted for 1st SS at Kharkov early 1943.
Thanks !! John
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2020 - 01:30 PM UTC
Maybe this set from Echelon?

https://echelonfd.com/products/details/AXT351016

Star has also 1st SS but not at Kharkov, I think:

https://www.star-decals.net/35-C1212.html
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2020 - 02:12 AM UTC
John, besides the instructions being funky (more than a Dragon kit?) and the issues with the decals how was the kit to build? Would you ever buy another Border Model kit?
Thanks !
johnstone
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 06:10 AM UTC
Thanks to all who responded. I now have tracked down discontinued sets from Bison and Echelon. For a modest $26 I should have to markings I need. Thanks a lot Border!(NOT).
Ivanhoe 6: Here's a bit of a rant:
I started painting model soldiers a 1961 when I was 14. (Imrie/Risely and Charles Sadden). After a tour in Vietnam I got into armor modeling. These were the dark ages of armor modeling -trying to detail kits with Grandt Line HO scale train parts! Got to know Shep Paine and had lunch with him from time-to-time.
Got back into armor modeling about 3 years ago. Astounded by the level of detail and the available after market offerings.
Also astounded by the truly miserable quality of Dragon instructions. I have now sworn off Dragon except for figure sets.
Now comes Border with almost equally bad instructions.
Spend more time with these kits just trying to decipher the instructions than in actually gluing parts.
This was the first an last Border I will ever buy. These manufacturers should be ashamed but they obviously don't care.
At this point my attitude is: If Tamiya does not make I don't need it. The after market parts can be added.
And all of these guys (not Tamiya) hide behind "intended for experienced modelers" what a cop out!!!!
Thanks again guys!
johnstone
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 06:13 AM UTC
Thanks to all for suggestions. I tracked down discontinued Bison & Echelon decals. So for about $26 I will have the markings I need. Thanks a lot Border! (NOT).
Ivanhoe 6 - I'm going on a bit of a rant:
I started painting model soldiers (Imrie/Risely and Stadden in 1961 when I was 14. After a tour in Vietnam I started armor modeling. These were the dark of armor modeling. We were trying to detail AFVs
with Grandt Line HO model train parts! By the way Shep Paine and I had lunch together from time to time.
I gave up the armor modeling in the late 1970's. Still soldiers and wargame figures. Actually made a living doing that until the early 1980's.
Got back into armor about 3 years ago. Astounded by all the available aftermarket goodies. Did 3 back-to-Dragon kits and a few Tamiya softskins. Astounded also by the miserable Dragon instructions (there outta be a law!)
Now comes Border. Bought this after reading a couple of reviews. Instructions really not any better than Dragon.
Now I have on order a 251C halftrack from AFV Club. We will see . . .
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 10:08 AM UTC
Moved from Modeling in General
 _GOTOTOP