_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
not getting a capillary effect on pin washing
MrchntMarine
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 08:34 AM UTC
so ive got this M3 Stuart im working on and its Future coated over acrylic and Im using Flory Washes to do some pin washing to the panel lines. Ive used this stuff once or twice before and gotten nice capillary effect - running along the seams, etc. But, for some reason, not this time. I put a drop down and it just sits. Should I water it down?
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 10:35 AM UTC
If the coat below is gloss it should run. Maybe it is more dense now because part of the thinner has evaporated over the time and you should thin it again. Or load more heavily the brush. Or wet the surface before applying it.
Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Armorama: 635 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 11:20 AM UTC
Joe: I stopped using Future because I found I had to put about 3 coats on to get a nice glossy, smooth finish and the fact that it seemed to build up and form a drip that would build up and form a lump when it dried. I know I'm not describing it exactly right.
If your gloss coat is smooth then I would go with Carlos's suggestions.
Take care and stay safe,
Don "Lakota"
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 12:46 PM UTC
According to one modeler on the Large Scale Aircraft site, this product is not meant to be used
as a pin wash but it is more of a sludge type application where you fill in panel lines and then
wipe away the excess.
Being a water based product, surface tension of the water content prevents it from spreading on
its own.
Just sharing what I have read.
Personally, if you have painted and gloss coated with an acrylic barrier...use oils.
Cheers,
MrchntMarine
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 01:47 PM UTC
Thanks guys. Brings up a good point - had these washes for a long time and may not remember those YouTube tutorials .... time 2 revisit them. I do remember them doing a little pin washing, but think back, as mentioned, I do remember the paint and wipe when dried also. Tks for the reminder!
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 02:38 PM UTC
I have the Flory washes as well, and in my experience, as already mentioned, it is typically used as a 'sludge wash'. However, just about any wash, if thin enough, should exhibit capillary action, even without a gloss coat. I was just working on a flat finished tank, and used very dilute oil paints (oils with very high percentage odorless thinner) and got great capillary action. I'd try dilution if capillary action is important to you, as it's not likely the finish is your problem, in my humble opinion.
MrchntMarine
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 02:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the Flory washes as well, and in my experience, as already mentioned, it is typically used as a 'sludge wash'. However, just about any wash, if thin enough, should exhibit capillary action, even without a gloss coat. I was just working on a flat finished tank, and used very dilute oil paints (oils with very high percentage odorless thinner) and got great capillary action. I'd try dilution if capillary action is important to you, as it's not likely the finish is your problem, in my humble opinion.

Great Curt - thanks for the confirmation and your help.
MrchntMarine
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 09:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the Flory washes as well.........

Out of curiosity - when you use Flory, by brushing, do get a bunch of tiny air bubbles? I have Flory but not used them a lot. I like 'em, but was wondering. Ive watched some of their videos and I don't see bubbling on the YouTube but I get it. Guess its not a big deal, because most of it gets wiped off anyway, but if I have a flat area and try to wipe the excess off I have seen some residual "circles" from the bubbling left over. I then use a dampened paper towel with the wash to kinda smear it.
 _GOTOTOP