_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Dragon vs cyber hobby stug 3
youpey
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 05:47 AM UTC
I'm trying to decide if the new dragon stug 3 is much better than the cyber hobby stug 3.

From what I can tell the cyber hobby kits are made from 1994 mold where the latest dragon is made from the 2007 mold.

The dragon one is about 75 dollars where the cyber hobby is half the price.

I dont mind paying more if the model is significantly better.

Any help is greatly appreciated
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 07:20 AM UTC
I think it would help if you gave the four-digit kit numbers that begin with 6 since each has released many StuG IIIs.
youpey
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 07:46 AM UTC
It's the 6905 vs 9106

I thought all the new dragon ones were based on the 2007 mold and the cyber hobby were based on the 1995 mold.

I didnt realize they would be significantly different on update/version using the same molds
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 08:39 AM UTC
Go watch Panzermeister36 on youtube he has loads of Dragon Stug reviews and builds.
Hangelafette
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 344 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 09:10 AM UTC
Hi Mike,

Dragon's newer tooled Stug/panzer 3 kits are real gems. I have not built any of the more recently released short-barreled variants, but I did build #6365 and it was a great kit that I would highly recommend.

Cyber hobby released value pak kits, older tool dragon kits with extras like magic tracks and figures and white box kits, reboxed new tool Dragon kits with special/extra parts.
These older kits were quite good for their time and I have seen them built into impressive models.

If the Dragon/Cyber hobby Stug kit number is 6300 or higher it is new tool. The 9000 series kits are Cyber hobby re-boxes of old dragon kits.

One more thing to consider, the 9000 series kits usually come with individual-link magic tracks, while the more recent Dragon offerings (including 6905) come with single piece DS tracks. I have not personally had an issue with the DS tracks but just search this forum for many tales of woe.

One last thing, I would shop around more before paying $75.

Good rundown of all the dragon/cyberhobby stugs here:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dragon-6320-stug-iii-ausf-g--108582

-Nate
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 10:39 AM UTC
I'm with Nathan.

The 9xxx series kits are ca 1996 molds. They are OK and can, with care and additions, build into great models. Done a couple of those old StuGs myself. But took lots of extra effort and scrounging from other kits to get things better. I ended up replacing all the wheels with wheels from Dragon "Smart Kit" series 6200+ (same molds as the Cyber Hobby "special version" kits) Pz. / StuG III kits (these later kits have super nice wheels with weld and connector tube details lacking from the original kit parts), adding Magic Tracks from same, adding various borrowed OEM parts and PE bits (both styrene parts and PE from modern kits enhance the details), suspension details, etc. and some AM bits too.

In my opinion, based on having elected to add a lot of stuff from later / more-modern kits just to get the older-kit basic vehicles up-graded, I would just spend the extra money and get the better kits from the start. This of course bases on one's desire to have those enhanced later-kit visible details. Which I do.

And the modern kits are actually to be had from eBay and various other on-line vendors at pretty fair prices, and these kits appear right in the Armorama Buy and Sell lists, too. I frankly avoid (like our current plague! ) paying 75+ for a model kit.

Note: Most of the 6300+ series "Smart Kits" originally boxed with Magic Track link sets - only the later kits came with DS tracks (which I cannot take...). The original 9000 series kits came with on-sprue link sets - softer detail links needing some additional clean-up to use. The later re-boxed 9000+ kits may or may not come with Magic Tracks as a "bonus". Being a link fan... I like the M-T sets a lot - specially for Pz. III types. Just my pref, of course!

Cheers! Bob
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 11:44 AM UTC
Pandemic delivery time may be longer, but here is a Dragon Neo kit of the early StuG III. https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/wyizm6h0lmbb3yv9ubpp.html

List price is about $42 US. Shipping will be a bit more, but much less than the $75. Biggest issue could be the delivery wait time.
youpey
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 - 11:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pandemic delivery time may be longer, but here is a Dragon Neo kit of the early StuG III. https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/wyizm6h0lmbb3yv9ubpp.html

List price is about $42 US. Shipping will be a bit more, but much less than the $75. Biggest issue could be the delivery wait time.

thanks, i will keep searching. i really only am buying from US sellers. i know that drives up the price a bit.
Removed by original poster on 04/21/20 - 00:39:35 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP