_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Sherman coaxial color
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 02:37 PM UTC
This may be a silly question but what is the correct color for a Sherman firefly coaxial machine gun. We池e they SCC 15 like the rest of the vechile or blued steel in color? I知 guessing they were super careful about painting around the barrel but I知 also guessing if they were painted the paint wouldn稚 last long with how hot a MG barrel would get.

I tried looking up coloured photos but many museum pieces have been stripped of their machine guns
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 02:58 PM UTC

A picture of my 30 cal (non-firing). It was parkerized and was a dark grey color, now browned by oiling. I usually paint the guns panzer grey, or a gun metal color. I have seen the 30 cal painted black and OD, but I thought PZ grey looked better and matched color WWII pictures.
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 03:18 PM UTC
Thank you! Cool .30 Cal.

I too paint tools and gun steel with panzer grey by making a mix of tamiya paints using 3 parts german grey to 1 part gun metal. I find it gives a nice hue for blued steel with a just a bit of shine shown here:

For a parkerized gun I will probably go with straight panzer grey
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 05:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I知 guessing they were super careful about painting around the barrel

No, they didn't have to be super careful, they simply removed the gun and reinstalled it once the tank was painted, or wrapped some protective material around the barrel if for some reason they didn't want to remove the gun at that time (not that removing the gun was anything unusual - it had to be regularly removed for cleaning and maintenance anyway). They may not have bothered to remove pioneer tools and painted them too, but machine gun is a whole different matter - they carefully protected it from anything that could cause it to malfunction.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 09:30 PM UTC
For .30cal and .50cal I tend to go with a medium-dark grey (like "panzer grey" and then wash it with black to set in the nooks & crannies. (I use Games Workshop Nuln Oil for my wash) If you really want to go to town, finish off by rubbing a pencil on the raised edges to get just a hint of metallic shine!
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 - 01:26 AM UTC
I知 a dark grey adherent as well. Sometimes I値l even alter tones on the same gun by giving a dark green wash to the receiver.

The pencil graphite addition with a small make up applicator is a nice touch at the end.
 _GOTOTOP