_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Normandy British Tanker Uniform Color
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2020 - 03:08 AM UTC
I am building Tascas Sherman Firefly VC for use in a Normandy Diorama. I have three ultra cast resin figures and the figure that comes with the firefly. All 4 are wearing light denim gear. My question is what is the appropriate colour? I tried tamiya flat earth as the instructions called for but this was a mud brown colour. I then tried Vallejo Panzer Aces British tank crew. This colour seems to be close to a khaki in the shadow areas and more of a tan color on the high points. I have read the light denims came in both a khaki like color and a tan. Which is more appropriate here?

Here is what I have so far with the Panzer Aces

Thanks I’m advance.
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2020 - 09:57 PM UTC
That doesn't look too bad in my opinion.

As far as I understand British tankers of the RAC during that time usually wore an overall over a shirt in summer and over the battledress in winter. The colors varied a little, but were mainly very close to the general infantry battle dress, I think. Some differences in insignia might occur, but as for color goes, I guess you can't get too wrong with using basic battledress colors:

https://www.militarymodelscene.com/lifecolor-british-uniform-colours?lightbox=dataItem-jbgrzud6

And as I said: Your figure doesn't look off to me. Let's be honest: Finish them the way you started, place them, and then have a look at them. You won't be thinking "Something's wrong" is what I would probably bet on...
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2020 - 10:22 PM UTC
Worthwhile looking at the Tank Museums you tube site. One of the latest videos ( as in last week) done by David Willey ,the Curator, from his home covers tank uniforms, overalls etc, including this period, with examples to hand.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2020 - 01:35 AM UTC
I have also seen quite a few pics of olive drab overalls.
Just to throw a wrench into the works.
J
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2020 - 01:57 AM UTC
Thanks for video, great resource! I think what I learned is tbat British overalls ranged from tan to brown like I have painted them to olive drab in color. The tan seemed to be issued for desert and Mediterranean theatres and the browns and olive for Europe. I’ll probably stick with the color I have. I added a couple more coats and they are less yellowy now and more like a tannish brown similar to infantry battle dress
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2020 - 02:12 AM UTC
The Tank Museum site is a fantastic resource in general. and is always worth a look.
 _GOTOTOP