My First Snows of the Year
G-man69
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 944 posts
Armorama: 928 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2020 - 05:27 AM UTC
Hi all,

Whilst awaiting some flesh tone acrylics for painting in my existing build...Which comes first,..., I have decided to start planning my third build.

It will involve the Tamiya 1/35th Churchill MK VII in winter camouflage, located in a town/village somewhere in NW Europe during the winter of 1944. At this point in time during WW2 is it likely to be a setting in Germany, or could it still be France?

Below is a rough PowerPoint sketch of the basics:

I want to try and show quite a heavy fall of snow, drifts against the buildings, slush, etc...a real wintery scene.

It will be my first attempt at snow, so any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated, .

Cheers, ,

G
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2020 - 07:41 AM UTC
I'm a big fan of winter dios and your idea sounds interesting, as there don't seem to be many scenes of British vehicles with winter camo being done. Winter 1944 in NW Europe with heavy snowfall suggests it could be before, during, or after the Battle of the Bulge. Which in turn includes France & Belgium, or later on Germany. The buildings in your sketch could be any of the three. Have you decided on what you'll use for the snow? Look forward to your progress on this one!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2020 - 10:51 AM UTC
Baking soda, water, and white glue.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2020 - 11:12 AM UTC
Snow suggestion? Marble dust. Best thing I've ever used. Even sparkles like snow. Never yellows.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2020 - 10:04 PM UTC
Never tackled snow before this will be interesting for me .
Go get em G.

Jberardi
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 88 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 02:14 AM UTC
G:
I'm a little late to the party here, but I too was on a mission to figure out snow not too long ago. I settled on Woodland Scenics Soft Flake Snow. Below are a couple of images of the final product.

The key with this product is to build up the base and apply just a light to moderate dusting over that base. The image below illustrates that. Foam base on the roof with a light dusting of snow.

Finally, I used Woodland Scenics Flex Paste for accumulating snow on window ledges and in trees.

Good luck!

Jim
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 04:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

Whilst awaiting some flesh tone acrylics for painting in my existing build...Which comes first,..., I have decided to start planning my third build.

It will involve the Tamiya 1/35th Churchill MK VII in winter camouflage, located in a town/village somewhere in NW Europe during the winter of 1944. At this point in time during WW2 is it likely to be a setting in Germany, or could it still be France?

Below is a rough PowerPoint sketch of the basics:

I want to try and show quite a heavy fall of snow, drifts against the buildings, slush, etc...a real wintery scene.

It will be my first attempt at snow, so any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated, .

Cheers, ,

G

Check out Precision Ice and Snow . I think its a product from your side of the pond.

https://www.precisioniceandsnow.com/
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

G:
I'm a little late to the party here, but I too was on a mission to figure out snow not too long ago. I settled on Woodland Scenics Soft Flake Snow. Below are a couple of images of the final product.

The key with this product is to build up the base and apply just a light to moderate dusting over that base. The image below illustrates that. Foam base on the roof with a light dusting of snow.

Finally, I used Woodland Scenics Flex Paste for accumulating snow on window ledges and in trees.

Good luck!

Jim

Nice dio. I really like the buildup on top of the building, but the snow looks way out of scale.
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Snow suggestion? Marble dust. Best thing I've ever used. Even sparkles like snow. Never yellows.

I have trick that will yellow it! After a few
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 03:01 AM UTC
Can’t beat using real snow, just build a glass-fronted freezer to keep the base in – simples
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm a big fan of winter dios and your idea sounds interesting, as there don't seem to be many scenes of British vehicles with winter camo being done. Winter 1944 in NW Europe with heavy snowfall suggests it could be before, during, or after the Battle of the Bulge. Which in turn includes France & Belgium, or later on Germany. The buildings in your sketch could be any of the three. Have you decided on what you'll use for the snow? Look forward to your progress on this one!

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the info regarding the possibilities relating to locations, much appreciated, . As to what I'm going to use for snow, I had no real idea, but luckily it looks as if there have been a number of useful suggestions above for me to check out.

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 04:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Baking soda, water, and white glue.

Hi Biggles 2,

I had been checking out the baking soda option, partly because I thought it might be the cheapest option, but, believe it or not, because of COVID 19 anything to do with baking is really difficult to come by here in the UK, .

It still might be my solution, if I can get some.

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 04:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Robert,

Have you any images of 'Marble Dust' being used as 'snow'? It's not cheap over here in the UK, and I'd like to see what it looks like before I part with my cash...tight-wad, or what, .

Thanks for the suggestion, and cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 04:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Never tackled snow before this will be interesting for me .
Go get em G.

Hi Cheyenne,

Thanks for the images, .

I had seen them before when I was searching for snowy Churchills. My initial thought was that the 'sheets' would hide a lot of detail, but it's an interesting solution.

However, maybe a scene showing the crew liberating sheets from the buildings in preparation for quickly supplementing a badly worn coat of whitewash, just one or two sheets in the process of being draped and tied could work...it's food for thought, ?

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

G:

Good luck!

Jim

Hi Jim,

Not late at all, and thanks for the pics, they're truly outstanding. I love your attention to detail, the colour of the timber and the layered snow on the roof is very realistic, .

I'll check out whether the Woodland Scenics materials are readily available over here, .

Thanks again, and cheers, ,

G
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 04:40 AM UTC
Love your ideas! I am a huge fan of snow-focused dioramas. I have never done one myself, but I've purchased a great deal of the various materials one could use to simulate snow/ice on a model or diorama. I REALLY want to do one myself, but it's intimidating to me. I'll be watching your progress here!
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Check out Precision Ice and Snow . I think its a product from your side of the pond.

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the info, I have been considering using their products, their site has some great images, and they seem to have a number of special offers on at the moment...have you used these products before?

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can’t beat using real snow, just build a glass-fronted freezer to keep the base in – simples

Hi Tim,

I've seen your ideas of simple in your 'Op Anthropoid' build, ...methinks 'simple' isn't in your vocabulary, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Love your ideas! I am a huge fan of snow-focused dioramas. I have never done one myself, but I've purchased a great deal of the various materials one could use to simulate snow/ice on a model or diorama. I REALLY want to do one myself, but it's intimidating to me. I'll be watching your progress here!

Hi Curt,

Thanks for the positive feedback, .

If you don't mind me asking, what materials have you chanced upon, and do any look more promising than others?

Hopefully my build will keep you interested, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 05:09 AM UTC
Hi all,

Today has been the first inclement day since I floated my idea for this build so thought I'd better get started one the Churchill.

Being the venerable Tamiya MK VII I'm not going to post many pictures of its build as I'm sure it's been covered many times.

But to get this build up-and-running I thought I'd post a few images of my daily progress (see below), the upper hull isn't fixed in position, it's only resting on the lower hull so looks a tad odd.

At this stage I'm simply building the kit OOTB, for ease of handling I'm leaving the tools and bits-and-bobs off until the end.

Whilst it doesn't quite fall together out of the box it is a quick build.

I even managed to give one part its initial coat of 'rust' (see image below), some brighter 'rust' to be added.

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 05:16 AM UTC
Hi all,

I have decided to model the Churchill with the front 'mudguards' left off...it seems quite a common practice based on the images I've found. However, in some images there appears to be a slight 'flange', so I have added some plastic trim (see areas circled in red below).

Does anyone know if there is a flange, should it have holes in it for the fixing of the 'mudguard', and should there be any other detail apparent?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 05:21 AM UTC
Hi all,

As an aside, I have been considering getting a 'wet palette' for my acrylics. A friend suggested 'Redgrass' but I can't find a source in the UK. I could buy from Europe, but with the current crisis I'm trying to source within the UK if possible, .

Therefore, can anyone recommend any other brands?

Cheers, ,

G
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 08:06 AM UTC
Nah, you won't get tips on the snow from me.... Again! You know what I used, and the result.

For the wet palette, which I once more recommend, I use one from MOB Miniatures. I don't know a source in the UK, though. They are available on AliExpress too.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 08:24 AM UTC
You could make your own. Luke shows you starting at 3:37 mark.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ei2PYhY5tZQ&list=PLnVRVFrYeiMJgm3r31efSbf01cPh4XiCp&index=2&t=0s

The comments have some additional advise.
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 12:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the info, I have been considering using their products, their site has some great images, and they seem to have a number of special offers on at the moment...have you used these products before?

G

No, unfortunately I have not used it. I have a kit somewhere, boxed up, waiting for my office/craft room to be completed. I recall when I first got it, I compared the "flake" with the railroad modeling product and it was much finer and "scale". The color also resembled snow much better. Like it had the translucency, if you will.
 _GOTOTOP