_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Australian M113A1 Fire Support Vehicle
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 04:11 AM UTC
Hey folks,

Here are some photos of an Australian M113A1 FSV I was working on. It's the old tamiya kit I got off someone for cheap. Not my best work: tried to experiment with pigments but made a bit of a mess. Oh well. On to the next one. Thanks for looking

petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 05:08 PM UTC
Nice job on the old kit Nigel. Looks great
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 11:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice job on the old kit Nigel. Looks great

Thanks a bunch Peter! Really appreciate it
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 05:34 AM UTC
Looks like a good Out Of Box build to me.

I can see a few seams and sprue gates that have not been addressed but only because you provided such large detailed images.

The weathering doesn't look over done. Looks grimy like vehicles in use in several of my reference materials.

ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 07:10 AM UTC
Mud splatter and drips look good. Spare track look a bit clean though.
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 04:09 PM UTC
Thanks Paul!

Quoted Text

I can see a few seams and sprue gates that have not been addressed but only because you provided such large detailed images.

The weathering doesn't look over done. Looks grimy like vehicles in use in several of my reference materials.

Thanks a bunch. I really need to work on my ability to see and remove seamlines and other imperfections on the sprue. A lot of times I only see the seams when I've already painted the whole thing and have taken some photos. (I should have seen them when I prime the paint though).
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 09:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Paul!

Quoted Text

Thanks a bunch. I really need to work on my ability to see and remove seamlines and other imperfections on the sprue. A lot of times I only see the seams when I've already painted the whole thing and have taken some photos. (I should have seen them when I prime the paint though).

Hi Nigel,

Looks good! I built one of these a while back that was "original issue" back in the ?1980s? - it was so old the decals fell apart as soon as they touched water. Yours is fine, and with any military vehicle the mud builds up on exercise, only to be hosed off afterwards, so there is no right or wrong! One trick to catch those seem lines etc is to take lots of pics during the build and give them a good look-over before you paint the model - that way you can zoom in to spot trouble and fix it before it becomes permanent. (When I started posting pics of build progress here in Campaigns I was shocked by what I could see in photos that missed the naked eye!)
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 09:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mud splatter and drips look good. Spare track look a bit clean though.

Normally you would be right. Funny thing about the FSV though ... as dirty as the vehicle got, the tracks in this position didn't end up much more than a bit dusty maybe...

For anyone interested, you will also notice from the pics the canvas gun cover and lack of side skirts which was standard on the FSV.
 _GOTOTOP