_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Tamiya SU-122 (1/35)
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 05:58 AM UTC
Hi folks,

I'd like to share my work on this old Tamiya SU-122 (1/35). Tried a bit of hairspray chipping but did not apply enough hairspray so the chips were hard to bring out. Resorted to sponge and brush chipping, as well as heavy use of oil paints to weather her. Added a bit of thick mud on the running gear as well. NOTE: I do know the rear has a bad fit. I've been using the polycaps to hold the parts in place as per Tamiya but I'll probably glue them together once I'm satisfied with the whole build.

Would appreciate any constructive criticism. Thanks for looking! Hope you stay safe at home and let the COVID-19 pandemic pass

https://i.imgur.com/J5zpGv1.jpg

americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 07:53 AM UTC
Awesome work!! I've built several of those old Tamiya kits and have others in my stash; you have proved they can be made into great-looking models!
youpey
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 10:18 AM UTC
it looks very good. how was the build? did it go together easily?

i was looking to get one
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2020 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i was looking to get one

I built it when it came out in the 1970's. Like all Tamiya kits of the time, it builds quickly and easily with no fit problems. It's accuracy dimensionally is only so-so, and if you choose to upgrade with photoetch parts, you must get a set designed for it, as the grills are very different in size from more recent kits. Part and Eduard have offered sets for Tamiya T-34 family kits.
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 01:06 AM UTC
Thanks for the positive feedback folks

Quoted Text

i was looking to get one

As GeraldOwens said, this is an old Tamiya product. It was easy to build but oddly enough it had significant gaps and seams on the roof plate and rear hull. You can fix that with TLC sure, but the SU-85 from the same era had less issues. If you can get this kit cheap, go for it - just be aware that it needs a bit more TLC than the usual Tamiya kit I've seen the Mini-art kits of this AFV and if you can afford that, I would wholeheartedly recommend those instead
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the positive feedback folks

Quoted Text

i was looking to get one

As GeraldOwens said, this is an old Tamiya product. It was easy to build but oddly enough it had significant gaps and seams on the roof plate and rear hull. You can fix that with TLC sure, but the SU-85 from the same era had less issues. If you can get this kit cheap, go for it - just be aware that it needs a bit more TLC than the usual Tamiya kit I've seen the Mini-art kits of this AFV and if you can afford that, I would wholeheartedly recommend those instead

As I said, I had no problems with mine. Occasionally, kit runs may have issues with shrinkage due to the batch of plastic used, so, as they say, your mileage may differ. I wholeheartedly agree that the new Miniart kits are drastically better in detail and accuracy, but the build above shows that it's still possible to take an old dinosaur and turn it into a gem.
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 03:21 AM UTC
This is exceptional painting – so good that I imagine if I tapped a hull plate I’d hear a metallic clang. It’s just a shame you didn’t work your magic on the MiniArt version which as you say is highly recommended – go on, make our days!
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 08:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is exceptional painting – so good that I imagine if I tapped a hull plate I’d hear a metallic clang. It’s just a shame you didn’t work your magic on the MiniArt version which as you say is highly recommended – go on, make our days!

Thanks Tim! Maybe when the lockdown ends I'll get myself one of the newer miniart kits I will be avoiding interiors though - I don't have the patience to work on those just yet!
 _GOTOTOP