_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Panda Cougar 6x6 JERRV questions
twong529
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 07:23 AM UTC
I have some questions regarding the Panda 1/35 Cougar 6x6 JERRV kit. Looking over the Panda kit I see that it has markings for US Navy on the doors. I could only find one photo online of the particular vehicle Panda represents in US Navy markings. Was this vehicle commonly used by the US Navy? Does anyone have photos of the US Navy JERRV's with the setup Panda shows with the OGPK turret and gyrocam? Does the USMC use this version as well? Can I add the MCTAGS turret to the US Navy version in the Panda kit? Would like to see some photos of US Navy operated JERRV's and also if the USMC operated these as well.

This is the only US Navy JERRV photo I found that shows similar to what is in the Panda kit but it has the GPK turret where Panda includes the OGPK turret. Is the OGPK in the Panda kit standard for US Navy JERRV's? This photo doesn't show the gyrocam either.

Most photos I found of US Navy operated Cougar 6x6's show the type with the side windows similar to the Meng Cougar 6x6. This is also the same type the USMC operates. These photos of US Navy vehicles also have the MCTAGS turret. Are the Cougars modular where they can swap out the side windows to fit the top row of tool boxes?

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 07:34 AM UTC
The reason that kit comes with those markings us because they are exactly the same ones in the walk around I did of it. Someone sent them my photos and measurements and took credit for them. (I'm pretty sure I know who it was.) It's also why, regardless of what you read in other threads, it's measurements are almost spot on. NO, it's not six inches too wide on either side.

But's that's water under the bridge. That particular vehicle was located at a small COP in Rabiyah on the Syrian border. It was co-located with an ODA (mine) and a small contingent of 3 ACR. Every time it went out it got swacked. Different photos I have of it show the damage. It was finally damaged beyond repair and was rotated out and replaced.
The one in Rabiyah had the gyro-cam and two different EID robots stored inside.
twong529
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 08:14 AM UTC
Hi Rob, sucks someone took credit for your work.

Do you know if the USMC uses the JERRV in the Panda kit or is it just the US Navy and US Army?
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 10:21 AM UTC
Google the TV show "Bomb Patrol-Afghanistan."
I based my review/build of this Panda kit off the show and I think with a little help from Robert.

Here is the link to the build/review:
JERRV Build/Review
twong529
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 12:39 PM UTC
Thanks Pete for the build review. Yours came out great. I will use your build for reference.

Thanks also for reminding me about Bomb Patrol Afghanistan. I just checked out a couple episodes. I saw that the USN EOD teams do use the JERRV with the gyrocam.
 _GOTOTOP